For purposes of this Article, the following words or terms shall mean as follows:
(1) Adulterated grain: Grain which contains any substance, such as, but not limited to, Captan, carbon tetrachloride, Malathion, Parathion, DDT, Dieldrin, Thiram, Endrin, Heptachlor, Maneb, Methoxychlor, 2, 6-dichloro, 4-nitroaniline, pentachloronitrobenzene, hexachlorobenzene, Demeton, Phorate, Carbophenothion, in excess of the tolerance for human or animal consumption established for such substances by the laws of the State or the regulations of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, or both the State and the Department.
(2) Commissioner: North Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture.
(3) Grain: Corn, soybeans, milo, barley, oats, rye, and mixtures of them.
(4) Grain dealer: Any person owning, controlling or operating an elevator, mill, warehouse or other similar structure or truck or tractor-trailer unit or both who buys, solicits for sale or resale, processes for sale or resale, contracts for storage or exchange or transfers grain after obtaining title to the grain of a North Carolina producer. The term “grain dealer” shall exclude producers, groups of producers, or contract feeders buying grain for consumption in their operations.
(5) Person: Any individual, partnership, corporation, association, syndicate or other legal entity. (1975, c. 659, s. 1; 1997-261, s. 109.)
Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes 106-621
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of a statute, shall be construed to mean the section next preceding or next following that in which such reference is made; unless when some other section is expressly designated in such reference. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories, so called; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3