(a) This chapter shall be in full compliance with the federal Professional Boxing Safety Act of 1996, as amended by the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act (15 U.S.C. § 6301 et seq.).
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 68-115-501
- Association of Boxing Commissions: means the association recognized by state athletic commissions that affiliate with the association regarding rules of unarmed combat sports. See Tennessee Code 68-115-102
- Boxing: means unarmed combat to compete with the fists. See Tennessee Code 68-115-102
- Commission: means the Tennessee athletic commission. See Tennessee Code 68-115-102
- Kickboxing: means unarmed combat involving the use of striking techniques delivered with the upper and lower body, and in which the combatants remain standing while striking. See Tennessee Code 68-115-102
- Mixed martial arts: means unarmed combat using a combination of techniques from different disciplines of the martial arts, including kicking, wrestling and striking, subject to applicable limitations set forth in this chapter and rules promulgated by the commission. See Tennessee Code 68-115-102
- Professional: means a person who competes or has competed in an unarmed combat sport contest for the purpose of a purse or item of value greater than that amount authorized for an amateur event, or any person who has been previously licensed in any other jurisdiction as a professional. See Tennessee Code 68-115-102
(b) The Tennessee athletic commission is directed to become a member of the Association of Boxing Commissions, with costs associated with the membership in the association to be paid out of commission revenue and to use the regulatory guidelines adopted by the Association of Boxing Commissions and any amendments made to those regulatory guidelines in promulgating rules for the regulation of boxing.
(c) The Tennessee athletic commission is directed to use the Mixed Martial Arts Unified Rules as adopted and established in other states and professional associations as the regulatory guideline to promulgate rules for the regulation of mixed martial arts.
(d) The Tennessee athletic commission is directed to use as a regulatory guideline to promulgate rules those rules recognized by the International Kickboxing Federation (IKF), the International Sport Kickboxing Association (ISKA) and the World Karate Association (WKA).