Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 65 > Chapter 37
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Benefit: means anything reasonably regarded as economic gain, enhancement or advantage, including benefit to any other person in whose welfare the beneficiary is interested. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Complaining witness: means a person who signs a criminal complaint. See Tennessee Code 39-16-601
- Custody: means under arrest by a law enforcement officer or under restraint by a public servant pursuant to an order of a court. See Tennessee Code 39-16-601
- Deadly weapon: means :
(A) A firearm or anything manifestly designed, made or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Defendant: means a person accused of an offense under this title and includes any person who aids or abets the commission of such offense. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Force: means compulsion by the use of physical power or violence and shall be broadly construed to accomplish the purposes of this title. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Highway: includes public bridges and may be held equivalent to the words "county way" "county road" or "state road". See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Law enforcement officer: means an officer, employee or agent of government who has a duty imposed by law to:
(A) Maintain public order. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Person: includes the singular and the plural and means and includes any individual, firm, partnership, copartnership, association, corporation, governmental subdivision or agency, or other organization or other legal entity, or any agent or servant thereof. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public servant: means :
(A) Any public officer or employee of the state or of any political subdivision of the state or of any governmental instrumentality within the state including, but not limited to, law enforcement officers. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Road: includes public bridges and may be held equivalent to the words "county way" "county road" or "state road". See Tennessee Code 1-3-105