(a) The following classes of persons shall not be allowed to vote in this State:
(1) persons under 18 years of age;
(2) persons who have been determined mentally incompetent by a court, subject to such exceptions as the Legislature may make; and
(3) persons convicted of any felony, subject to such exceptions as the Legislature may make.
(b) The legislature shall enact laws to exclude from the right of suffrage persons who have been convicted of bribery, perjury, forgery, or other high crimes.
Terms Used In Texas Constitution Art. 6 sec. 1
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC