(a) After January 1, 2016, no law may be enacted that imposes a transfer tax on a transaction that conveys fee simple title to real property.
(b) This section does not prohibit:
(1) the imposition of a general business tax measured by business activity;
(2) the imposition of a tax on the production of minerals;
(3) the imposition of a tax on the issuance of title insurance; or
(4) the change of a rate of a tax in existence on January 1, 2016.
Terms Used In Texas Constitution Art. 8 sec. 29
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.