Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes > Chapter 185
- Acquire: when used in connection with a grant of power to any person, includes the acquisition by purchase, grant, gift or bequest. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Adult: means a person who has attained the age of 18 years, except that for purposes of investigating or prosecuting a person who is alleged to have violated any state or federal criminal law or any civil law or municipal ordinance, "adult" means a person who has attained the age of 17 years. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Articles: means the articles of incorporation of a cooperative unless the context otherwise requires. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Association: includes both cooperatives and foreign cooperatives. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Board: means the board of directors of a cooperative. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49
- Bylaws: means the bylaws of a cooperative. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49
- Chiropractor: means a person holding a license issued by the chiropractic examining board. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Civil forfeiture: The loss of ownership of property used to conduct illegal activity.
- Cooperative: means an association incorporated under this chapter. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49
- Corporation: means all corporations not associations. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49
- County board: means the county board of supervisors. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Foreign cooperative: means an association incorporated under a cooperative law of another state which has members residing within this state and which is operating on the following cooperative basis:
(a) No member of the foreign cooperative who is an individual is allowed more than one vote because of the amount of stock or membership capital the member owns therein; and
(b) The foreign cooperative shall not deal in the products of or for nonmembers to an amount greater in value than such as are handled by it for members; and
(c) The foreign cooperative distributes its proceeds according to either s. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49
Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another. Heretofore: means any time previous to the day on which the statute containing it takes effect; "hereafter" means the time after the statute containing such word takes effect. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Highway: includes all public ways and thoroughfares and all bridges upon the same. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC Land: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments and all rights thereto and interests therein. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Lawsuit: A legal action started by a plaintiff against a defendant based on a complaint that the defendant failed to perform a legal duty, resulting in harm to the plaintiff. Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity. Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt. Member: means a person who has been qualified and accepted for membership in an association. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49 members: as used in this chapter with respect to the right of a member to vote, voting procedure, the required proportion of member votes, actions that must or may be taken by members, the number of members required for a quorum and the eligibility of directors, means a member or members entitled to vote, unless the bylaws provide otherwise. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49 Membership stock: means any class of stock, continuous ownership of which is required for membership in a cooperative. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49 Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan. Municipality: includes cities and villages; it may be construed to include towns. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Patronage: means business done by a patron with a cooperative and, if the bylaws provide, labor performed for a cooperative by a patron. See Wisconsin Statutes 88.49 Personal representative: means a person, however denominated, who is authorized to administer a decedent's estate. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court. Population: means that shown by the most recent regular or special federal census. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way. Preceding: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next preceding that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Property: includes real and personal property. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. railroad company: include any person managing, maintaining, operating or in possession of a railroad, whether as owner, contractor, lessee, mortgagee, trustee, assignee or receiver. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant. seal: includes the word "seal" the letters "L S" and a scroll or other device intended to represent a seal, if any is affixed in the proper place for a seal, as well as an impression of a seal on the instrument. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims. Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system. Sworn: includes "affirmed" in all cases where by law an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held. Town board: means the town board of supervisors. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust. United States: includes the District of Columbia, the states, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the territories organized by congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504 Week: means 7 consecutive days. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504