Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes > Chapter 185
- Acquire: when used in connection with a grant of power to any person, includes the acquisition by purchase, grant, gift or bequest. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Articles: means the articles of incorporation of a cooperative unless the context otherwise requires. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01
- assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Association: includes both cooperatives and foreign cooperatives. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01
- bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Board: means the board of directors of a cooperative. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01
- Bylaws: means the bylaws of a cooperative. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01
- Chiropractor: means a person holding a license issued by the chiropractic examining board. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Cooperative: means an association incorporated under this chapter. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01
- Corporation: means all corporations not associations. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01
- damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Foreign cooperative: means an association incorporated under a cooperative law of another state which has members residing within this state and which is operating on the following cooperative basis:
(a) Either no member of the foreign cooperative who is an individual is allowed more than one vote because of the amount of stock or membership capital the member owns therein, or the foreign cooperative does not pay dividends on stock or membership capital in excess of 8 percent per year; and
(b) The foreign cooperative shall not deal in the products of or for nonmembers to an amount greater in value than such as are handled by it for members; and
(c) The foreign cooperative distributes its proceeds according to either s. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01
fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another. in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols or figures. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury. jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity. Member: means a person who has been qualified and accepted for membership in an association. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01 members: as used in this chapter with respect to the right of a member to vote, voting procedure, the required proportion of member votes, actions that must or may be taken by members, the number of members required for a quorum and the eligibility of directors, means a member or members entitled to vote, unless the bylaws provide otherwise. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01 Membership stock: means any class of stock, continuous ownership of which is required for membership in a cooperative. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01 Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan. Municipality: includes cities and villages; it may be construed to include towns. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Officers: when applied to corporations include directors and trustees. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Patronage: means business done by a patron with a cooperative and, if the bylaws provide, labor performed for a cooperative by a patron. See Wisconsin Statutes 185.01 Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Personal representative: means a person, however denominated, who is authorized to administer a decedent's estate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit. plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court. precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way. Preceding: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next preceding that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Property: includes real and personal property. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Qualified: when applied to any person elected or appointed to office, means that such person has done those things which the person was by law required to do before entering upon the duties of the person's office. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant. seal: includes the word "seal" the letters "L S" and a scroll or other device intended to represent a seal, if any is affixed in the proper place for a seal, as well as an impression of a seal on the instrument. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims. State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 statute: A law passed by a legislature. Sworn: includes "affirmed" in all cases where by law an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held. Town: may be construed to include cities, villages, wards or districts. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust. United States: includes the District of Columbia, the states, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the territories organized by congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Village: means incorporated village. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Week: means 7 consecutive days. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01