Current as of: 2009
A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, no person may act as a midwife without being licensed pursuant to this article.
B. The following persons are exempt from the licensure requirements of this section:
1. A physician licensed pursuant to title 32 who is permitted within his scope of practice to deliver infants.
2. A registered nurse certified by the state board of nursing as a qualified nurse-midwife.
3. A person acting under the direction and supervision of a physician licensed pursuant to title 32 who is permitted within his scope of practice to deliver infants.
4. A student of midwifery in the course of taking an internship, preceptorship or clinical training program, who is under the direction and supervision of a midwife licensed pursuant to this article.
5. A person who has no prearranged agreement to provide delivery assistance, but who delivers a baby as a result of an emergency situation.
6. A mother or father delivering their own infant.Prev | Next