Ohio Code > Title 47 > Chapter 4730 > § 4730.06 - Recommendations to state medical board
(A) The physician assistant policy committee of the state medical board shall review, and shall submit to the board recommendations concerning, all of the following:
(1) Requirements for issuance of certificates to practice as a physician assistant, including the educational requirements that must be met to receive a certificate to practice;
(2) Existing and proposed rules pertaining to the practice of physician assistants, the supervisory relationship between physician assistants and supervising physicians, and the administration and enforcement of this chapter;
(3) Physician-delegated prescriptive authority for physician assistants, in accordance with section 4730.38 of the Revised Code;
(4) Application procedures and forms for certificates to practice as a physician assistant, physician supervisory plans, and supervision agreements;
(5) Fees required by this chapter for issuance and renewal of certificates to practice as a physician assistant;
(6) Criteria to be included in applications submitted to the board for approval of physician supervisory plans, including criteria to be included in applications for approval to delegate to physician assistants the performance of special services;
(7) Criteria to be included in supervision agreements submitted to the board for approval and renewal of the board’s approval;
(8) Any issue the board asks the committee to consider.
(B) In addition to the matters that are required to be reviewed under division (A) of this section, the committee may review, and may submit to the board recommendations concerning, either or both of the following:
(1) Quality assurance activities to be performed by a supervising physician and physician assistant under a quality assurance system established pursuant to division (F) of section 4730.21 of the Revised Code;
(2) The development and approval of one or more model physician supervisory plans and one or more models for a special services portion of the one or more model physician supervisory plans. The committee may submit recommendations for model plans that reflect various medical specialties.
(C) The board shall take into consideration all recommendations submitted by the committee. Not later than ninety days after receiving a recommendation from the committee, the board shall approve or disapprove the recommendation and notify the committee of its decision. If a recommendation is disapproved, the board shall inform the committee of its reasons for making that decision. The committee may resubmit the recommendation after addressing the concerns expressed by the board and modifying the disapproved recommendation accordingly. Not later than ninety days after receiving a resubmitted recommendation, the board shall approve or disapprove the recommendation. There is no limit on the number of times the committee may resubmit a recommendation for consideration by the board.
(D)(1) Except as provided in division (D)(2) of this section, the board may not take action regarding a matter that is subject to the committee’s review under division (A) or (B) of this section unless the committee has made a recommendation to the board concerning the matter.
(2) If the board submits to the committee a request for a recommendation regarding a matter that is subject to the committee’s review under division (A) or (B) of this section, and the committee does not provide a recommendation before the sixty-first day after the request is submitted, the board may take action regarding the matter without a recommendation.
Effective Date: 03-05-1996; 05-17-2006Prev | Next
Ohio Laws: Physicians Assistants