|Subpart B||Numbering System Requirements|
|Subpart C||Casualty Reporting System Requirements|
|Subpart D||State Reports|
Terms Used In 33 CFR Part 174
- Certificate of number: means the certificate required by 33 CFR 173. See 33 CFR 174.3
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- HIN: means a number required by 33 CFR 181. See 33 CFR 174.3
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Operator: means the person who is in control or in charge of a vessel while it is in operation. See 33 CFR 174.3
- Owner: means a person, other than a secured party, having property rights in or title to a vessel, including persons entitled to use or possess a vessel subject to a security interest in another person, but excluding lessees under a lease not intended as security. See 33 CFR 174.3
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means an individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint-stock association, or governmental entity and includes a trustee, receiver, assignee, or similar representative of any of them. See 33 CFR 174.3
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Reporting authority: means a State listed in 33 CFR part 173, Appendix A, as having a numbering system approved by the Coast Guard or the Coast Guard itself when a numbering system has not been approved. See 33 CFR 174.3
- State: means a State of the United States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the U. See 33 CFR 174.3
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Vessel: means every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water. See 33 CFR 174.3