|Subpart B||Personal Flotation Devices|
|Subpart C||Visual Distress Signals|
Terms Used In 33 CFR Part 175
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Boat: means any vessel--
(1) Manufactured or used primarily for noncommercial use. See 33 CFR 175.3
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Passenger: means an individual carried on a vessel except--
(1) The owner or an individual representative of the owner or, in the case of a vessel chartered without a crew, an individual charterer, or an individual representative of the charterer. See 33 CFR 175.3
- PFD: means a device that is approved by the Commandant under 46 CFR part 160. See 33 CFR 175.13
- Recreational vessel: means any vessel being manufactured or operated primarily for pleasure, or leased, rented, or chartered to another for the latter's pleasure. See 33 CFR 175.3
- Sailboard: means a sail propelled vessel with no freeboard and equipped with a swivel mounted mast not secured to a hull by guys or stays. See 33 CFR 175.3
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- State: means a State or Territory of the United States of America, whether a State of the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the United States Virgin Islands. See 33 CFR 175.3
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Use: means operate, navigate, or employ. See 33 CFR 175.3
- Vessel: includes every description of watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water. See 33 CFR 175.3