For purposes of this chapter–
Terms Used In 12 USC 1462
- association: when used in reference to a corporation, shall be deemed to embrace the words "successors and assigns of such company or association" in like manner as if these last-named words, or words of similar import, were expressed. See 1 USC 5
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
The term “Corporation” means the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
(2) Savings association
The term “savings association” means a savings association, as defined in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act [12 U.S.C. 1813], the deposits of which are insured by the Corporation.
(3) Federal savings association
The term “Federal savings association” means a Federal savings association or a Federal savings bank chartered under section 1464 of this title.
(4) National bank
The term “national bank” has the same meaning as in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act [12 U.S.C. 1813].
(5) Federal banking agencies
The term “Federal banking agencies” means the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
The term “State” has the same meaning as in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act [12 U.S.C. 1813].
The term “affiliate” means any person that controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with, a savings association, except as provided in section 1467a of this title.
The term “Board”, other than in the context of the Board of Directors of the Corporation, means the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
The term “Comptroller” means the Comptroller of the Currency.
(10) Appropriate Federal banking agency
The term “appropriate Federal banking agency” has the same meaning as in section 3(q) of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 1813(q)).
(11) Functionally regulated subsidiary
The term “functionally regulated subsidiary” has the same meaning as in section 5(c)(5) of the Bank Holding Company Act of 1956 (12 U.S.C. 1844(c)(5)).