(a) Penalty assessed as tax
The penalties and liabilities provided by this subchapter shall be paid upon notice and demand by the Secretary, and shall be assessed and collected in the same manner as taxes. Except as otherwise provided, any reference in this title to “tax” imposed by this title shall be deemed also to refer to the penalties and liabilities provided by this subchapter.
(b) Person defined
Terms Used In 26 USC 6671
- corporation: includes associations, joint-stock companies, and insurance companies. See
- employee: shall include a full-time life insurance salesman who is considered an employee for the purpose of chapter 21. See
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- partnership: includes a syndicate, group, pool, joint venture, or other unincorporated organization, through or by means of which any business, financial operation, or venture is carried on, and which is not, within the meaning of this title, a trust or estate or a corporation. See
- person: shall be construed to mean and include an individual, a trust, estate, partnership, association, company or corporation. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate. See
The term “person”, as used in this subchapter, includes an officer or employee of a corporation, or a member or employee of a partnership, who as such officer, employee, or member is under a duty to perform the act in respect of which the violation occurs.