(a) In general
In accordance with regulations promulgated by the Secretary, an employer to which this chapter applies, shall provide to each employee at the time of hiring (or with respect to current employees, not later than March 1, 2013), written notice–
Terms Used In 29 USC 218b
- employee: means any individual employed by an employer. See 29 USC 203
- Employer: includes any person acting directly or indirectly in the interest of an employer in relation to an employee and includes a public agency, but does not include any labor organization (other than when acting as an employer) or anyone acting in the capacity of officer or agent of such labor organization. See 29 USC 203
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Labor. See 29 USC 203
- State: means any State of the United States or the District of Columbia or any Territory or possession of the United States. See 29 USC 203
(1) informing the employee of the existence of an Exchange, including a description of the services provided by such Exchange, and the manner in which the employee may contact the Exchange to request assistance;
(2) if the employer plan’s share of the total allowed costs of benefits provided under the plan is less than 60 percent of such costs, that the employee may be eligible for a premium tax credit under section 36B of title 26 and a cost sharing reduction under section 18071 of title 42 if the employee purchases a qualified health plan through the Exchange; and
(3) if the employee purchases a qualified health plan through the Exchange, the employee may lose the employer contribution (if any) to any health benefits plan offered by the employer and that all or a portion of such contribution may be excludable from income for Federal income tax purposes.
(b) Effective date
Subsection (a) shall take effect with respect to employers in a State beginning on March 1, 2013.