It is the purpose of this subchapter to create a partnership among the Federal Government, States, and localities to provide, on a voluntary basis, adult education and literacy activities, in order to–
Terms Used In 29 USC 3271
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 1 USC 1
(1) assist adults to become literate and obtain the knowledge and skills necessary for employment and economic self-sufficiency;
(2) assist adults who are parents or family members to obtain the education and skills that–
(A) are necessary to becoming full partners in the educational development of their children; and
(B) lead to sustainable improvements in the economic opportunities for their family;
(3) assist adults in attaining a secondary school diploma and in the transition to postsecondary education and training, including through career pathways; and
(4) assist immigrants and other individuals who are English language learners in–
(A) improving their–
(i) reading, writing, speaking, and comprehension skills in English; and
(ii) mathematics skills; and
(B) acquiring an understanding of the American system of Government, individual freedom, and the responsibilities of citizenship.