The Secretary is authorized to make such rules and regulations and hold such hearings as he may deem necessary to effectuate the purposes of this chapter and may cooperate with any other Department or agency of the Government; any State, territory, district, or possession, or department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; purchasing and consuming organizations, boards of trade, chambers of commerce, or other associations of business men or trade organizations; or any person, whether operating in one or more jurisdictions in carrying on the work herein authorized; and he shall have the power to appoint, suspend, remove, and fix the compensation of all officers, employees, and licensees not in conflict with existing law, except that inspectors and supervisors employed thereunder on a seasonal basis and working for periods of six months or less during any twelve-month period may be appointed without reference to the provisions of chapter 51 and subchapter III of chapter 53 of title 5. The Secretary is authorized to make such expenditures for rent outside of the District of Columbia, printing, binding, telegrams, telephones, books of reference, publications, furniture, stationery, office and laboratory equipment, travel, tobacco for use in preparing and demonstrating standards, and other supplies and expenses, including reporting services, as shall be necessary to the administration of this chapter in the District of Columbia and elsewhere, and as may be appropriated for by Congress; and there is authorized to be appropriated, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, such sums as may be necessary for administering this chapter.
Terms Used In 7 USC 511m
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Commerce: means commerce between any State, Territory, or possession, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside thereof. See 7 USC 511
- Person: includes partnerships, associations, and corporations, as well as individuals. See 7 USC 511
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Agriculture of the United States. See 7 USC 511
- State: includes Territory, the District of Columbia, possession of the United States, and foreign nations. See 7 USC 511
- Tobacco: means tobacco in its unmanufactured form. See 7 USC 511