(a) General requirements; annual report to Congressional committees
On December 1 of each year, the Secretary shall submit a report to the Committee on Agriculture of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry of the Senate regarding the effectiveness of the official inspection and weighing system under this chapter for the prior fiscal year, with recommendations for any legislative changes necessary to accomplish the objectives stated in section 74 of this title.
(b) Notification of Congressional committees of complaints regarding faulty grain deliveries and cancellation of export contracts
Terms Used In 7 USC 87f-2
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Department of Agriculture: means the United States Department of Agriculture. See 7 USC 75
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- grain: means corn, wheat, rye, oats, barley, flaxseed, sorghum, soybeans, mixed grain, and any other food grains, feed grains, and oilseeds for which standards are established under section 76 of this title. See 7 USC 75
- official inspection: means the determination (by original inspection, and when requested, reinspection and appeal inspection) and the certification, by official inspection personnel of the kind, class, quality, or condition of grain, under standards provided for in this chapter, or the condition of vessels and other carriers or receptacles for the transportation of grain insofar as it may affect the quality or condition of such grain. See 7 USC 75
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Agriculture of the United States or delegates of the Secretary. See 7 USC 75
- United States: means the States (including Puerto Rico) and the territories and possessions of the United States (including the District of Columbia). See 7 USC 75
The Secretary shall notify the Committee on Agriculture of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry of the Senate (1) of any complaint regarding faulty grain delivery made to the Department of Agriculture by a foreign purchaser of United States grain, within thirty days after a determination by the Secretary that there is reasonable cause to believe that the grain delivery was in fact faulty, and (2) notwithstanding the provisions of section 612c-3 1 of this title, within thirty days after receipt by the Secretary or the Secretary 2 of notice of the cancellation of any contract for the export of more than one hundred thousand metric tons of grain.
(c) Submission to Congressional committees of annual summary of complaints from foreign purchasers and prospective purchasers of grain
On December 1 of each year, the Secretary shall submit to the Committee on Agriculture of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry of the Senate a summary of all other complaints received by the Department of Agriculture during the prior fiscal year from foreign purchasers and prospective purchasers of United States grain and other foreign purchasers interested in the trade of grain, and the resolution thereof: Provided, That the summary shall not include a complaint unless reasonable cause exists to believe that the complaint is valid, as determined by the Secretary.