|Subchapter I||Cooperative Research Program|
|Subchapter II||Department of Energy Semiconductor Technology Research Excellence Initiative|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 15 > Chapter 72
- Administrator: means the Administrator of the Bonneville Power Administration. See 34 USC 11184
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Bureau: means the Bureau of the Census. See 42 USC 300ff–19
- Chairman: means the Chairman of the National Advisory Council on International Monetary and Financial Policies. See 26 USC 4218
- Circumstantial evidence: All evidence except eyewitness testimony.
- Commission: means the Great Lakes Fishery Commission provided for by article II of the convention. See 34 USC 11242
- Commission: means the International Whaling Commission established by article III of the convention. See 29 USC 3293
- Conservation: means any reduction in electric power consumption as a result of increases in the efficiency of energy use, production, or distribution. See 34 USC 11184
- Consumer: means any end user of electric power. See 34 USC 11184
- controlled substance: has the meaning given that term in section 802(6) of title 21. See 19 USC 1401
- Convention: means the Convention on Great Lakes Fisheries between the United States of America and Canada signed at Washington, September 10, 1954. See 34 USC 11242
- convention: means the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling signed at Washington under date of December 2, 1946, by the United States of America and certain other governments. See 29 USC 3293
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Cost-effective: when applied to any measure or resource referred to in this chapter, means that such measure or resource must be forecast--
(i) to be reliable and available within the time it is needed, and
(ii) to meet or reduce the electric power demand, as determined by the Council or the Administrator, as appropriate, of the consumers of the customers at an estimated incremental system cost no greater than that of the least-cost similarly reliable and available alternative measure or resource, or any combination thereof. See 34 USC 11184
- Council: means , unless otherwise specifically provided, the members appointed to the Pacific Northwest Electric Power and Conservation Planning Council established pursuant to section 839b of this title. See 34 USC 11184
- Customer: means anyone who contracts for the purchase of power from the Administrator pursuant to this chapter. See 34 USC 11184
- customs waters: means , in the case of a foreign vessel subject to a treaty or other arrangement between a foreign government and the United States enabling or permitting the authorities of the United States to board, examine, search, seize, or otherwise to enforce upon such vessel upon the high seas the laws of the United States, the waters within such distance of the coast of the United States as the said authorities are or may be so enabled or permitted by such treaty or arrangement and, in the case of every other vessel, the waters within four leagues of the coast of the United States. See 19 USC 1401
- day: means the time from eight o'clock antemeridian to five o'clock postmeridian. See 19 USC 1401
- Direct service industrial customer: means an industrial customer that contracts for the purchase of power from the Administrator for direct consumption. See 34 USC 11184
- Electric power: means electric peaking capacity, or electric energy, or both. See 34 USC 11184
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC
- Great Lakes: means any of the following bodies of water: Lake Ontario (including the Saint Lawrence River from Lake Ontario to the forty-fifth parallel of latitude), Lake Erie, Lake Huron (including Lake Saint Clair), Lake Michigan, or Lake Superior. See 34 USC 11242
- Great Lakes State: means any of the following States: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin. See 34 USC 11242
- hovering vessel: means --
(1) any vessel which is found or kept off the coast of the United States within or without the customs waters, if, from the history, conduct, character, or location of the vessel, it is reasonable to believe that such vessel is being used or may be used to introduce or promote or facilitate the introduction or attempted introduction of merchandise into the United States in violation of the laws of the United States. See 19 USC 1401
- Indian tribe: means any Indian tribe or band which is located in whole or in part in the region and which has a governing body which is recognized by the Secretary of the Interior. See 34 USC 11184
- international financial institutions: means the International Monetary Fund, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, International Development Association, International Finance Corporation, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, African Development Bank, African Development Fund, Asian Development Bank, Inter-American Development Bank 2 Bank for Economic Cooperation and Development in the Middle East and North Africa,,3 and Inter-American Investment Corporation. See 26 USC 4218
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Magistrate judges: Judicial officers who assist U.S. district judges in getting cases ready for trial, who may decide some criminal and civil trials when both parties agree to have the case heard by a magistrate judge instead of a judge.
- Major resource: means any resource that--
(A) has a planned capability greater than fifty average megawatts, and
(B) if acquired by the Administrator, is acquired for a period of more than five years. See 34 USC 11184
- master: means the person having the command of the vessel. See 19 USC 1401
- merchandise: means goods, wares, and chattels of every description, and includes merchandise the importation of which is prohibited, and monetary instruments as defined in section 5312 of title 31. See 19 USC 1401
- night: means the time from five o'clock postmeridian to eight o'clock antemeridian. See 19 USC 1401
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes partnerships, associations, and corporations. See 19 USC 1401
- Plan: means the Regional Electric Power and Conservation plan (including any amendments thereto) adopted pursuant to this chapter and such plan shall apply to actions of the Administrator as specified in this chapter. See 34 USC 11184
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- regional: means --
(A) the area consisting of the States of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, the portion of the State of Montana west of the Continental Divide, and such portions of the States of Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming as are within the Columbia River drainage basin. See 34 USC 11184
- Renewable resource: means a resource which utilizes solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, biomass, or similar sources of energy and which either is used for electric power generation or will reduce the electric power requirements of a consumer, including by direct application. See 34 USC 11184
- Resource: means --
(A) electric power, including the actual or planned electric power capability of generating facilities, or
(B) actual or planned load reduction resulting from direct application of a renewable energy resource by a consumer, or from a conservation measure. See 34 USC 11184
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate. See 19 USC 1401
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Health and Human Services. See 42 USC 201
- State: includes , in addition to the several States, only the District of Columbia, Guam, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 42 USC 201
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- United States: includes all Territories and possessions of the United States except the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Wake Island, Midway Islands, Kingman Reef, Johnston Island, and the island of Guam. See 19 USC 1401
- United States Section: means the United States Commissioners on the Commission. See 34 USC 11242
- vehicle: includes every description of carriage or other contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on land, but does not include aircraft. See 19 USC 1401
- vessel: includes every description of water craft or other contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation in water, but does not include aircraft. See 19 USC 1401
- whaling: means the scouting for, hunting, killing, taking, towing, holding onto, and flensing of whales, and the possession, treatment, or processing of whales or of whale products. See 29 USC 3293