An order awarding legal custody or an order of protective supervision made by the juvenile court in the case of a child may be modified, terminated, or extended on motion by any of the following:

Terms Used In Alabama Code 12-15-316

  • child: An individual under the age of 18 years, or under 21 years of age and before the juvenile court for a delinquency matter arising before that individual's 18th birthday, or under 19 years of age and before the juvenile court for a child in need of supervision matter or commitment to the State Department of Mental Health or under 19 years of age and before the juvenile court for a proceeding initiated under Section 12-15-115(b)(2). See Alabama Code 12-15-102
  • Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
  • following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
  • JUVENILE COURT: The juvenile or family court division of the circuit or district court having jurisdiction over matters as provided by this chapter. See Alabama Code 12-15-102
  • LEGAL CUSTODY: A legal status created by order of the juvenile court which vests in a legal custodian the right to have physical custody of a child under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court pursuant to this chapter and the right and duty to protect, train, and discipline the child and to provide the child with food, shelter, clothing, education, and medical care, all subject to the powers, rights, duties, and responsibilities of the legal guardian of the person of the child and subject to any residual parental rights and responsibilities. See Alabama Code 12-15-102
  • person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1

(1) A child, whose legal custody has been transferred to a department, institution, agency, or person, requesting the juvenile court for a modification or termination of the order, alleging that the child is no longer dependent or that protective supervision is no longer necessary.

(2) A department, institution, agency, or person vested with legal custody or responsibility for protective supervision, requesting the juvenile court for a modification, an extension, or a termination of the order on the grounds that this action is in the best interests of the child.

(Act 2008-277, p. 441, §18.)