(a) In addition to the deputy inspectors authorized by Section 25-12-9, the secretary, upon the request of any company licensed to insure and insuring in this state boilers and pressure vessels, or upon the request of any company operating pressure vessels in this state for which the owner or user maintains a regularly established inspection service which is under the supervision of one or more technically competent individuals whose qualifications are satisfactory to the department and causes the pressure vessels to be regularly inspected and rated by the inspection service in accordance with applicable provisions of the rules and regulations adopted by the department pursuant to Section 25-12-4, shall issue to each inspector of the insurance company a certificate of competency as a special inspector and to each inspector of the company operating a pressure vessel a certificate of competency as owner or user inspectors. Each inspector before receiving his or her certificate of competency shall satisfactorily pass the examination provided for by Section 25-12-11 or, in lieu of the examination, shall hold a commission or a certificate of competency as an inspector of boilers or pressure vessels from a state that has a standard of examination substantially equal to that of this state, or a commission as an inspector of boilers and pressure vessels issued by the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors. A certificate of competency as an owner or user inspector shall be issued to an inspector of a company operating pressure vessels in this state only if, in addition to meeting the requirements stated in this section, the inspector is employed full time by the company and is responsible for making inspections of pressure vessels used or to be used by the company and which are not for resale.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 25-12-10
- board: The Board of Boilers and Pressure Vessels. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- boiler: shall include fired units for heating or vaporizing liquids other than water where these units are separate from processing systems and are complete within themselves. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- department: The Department of Labor. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- PRESSURE VESSEL: A vessel other than those vessels defined in subdivision (2) in which the pressure is obtained from an external source or by the application of heat. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- secretary: The Secretary of Labor. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(b) The expenses or salary of special inspectors or owner or user inspectors shall not be paid by the state. The continuance of their certificates of competency shall be conditioned upon the special inspectors or owner or user inspectors continuing in the employ of the boiler insurance company or in the employ of the company operating pressure vessels in this state and upon their maintenance of the standards imposed by this chapter.
(c) The special inspectors or owner or user inspectors may inspect all boilers and pressure vessels insured or all pressure vessels operated by their respective companies. When inspected, the owners and users of the boilers and pressure vessels shall be exempt from the payment to the state of the inspection fees as prescribed in rules and regulations promulgated by the secretary.