As used in this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings respectively ascribed to them unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 3-7A-1
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(1) CANINE CORPS DOGS. Those members of the canine family maintained by governmental agencies for exclusive use in official duties assigned to those agencies. Seeing eye dogs shall be included within the meaning of this definition.
(2) CAT. All members of the domesticated feline (Felis catus) family.
(3) DOG. All members of the domesticated canine (Canis familiaris) family.
(4) FERRET. All members of the ferret (Mustela putorius furo) family.
(5) HAS BEEN EXPOSED. Suspected or confirmed contact of saliva with a break or abrasion of the skin or with any mucous membrane, as determined by the health officer or medical or law enforcement personnel.
(6) HEALTH OFFICER. The State Health Officer or any county health officer as defined in Section 22-3-2, or his or her designee.
(7) IMMUNIZATION AGAINST RABIES. The injection, in a manner approved by the State Health Officer and the State Veterinarian, of rabies vaccine approved by the State Health Officer and the State Veterinarian. The administration of rabies vaccine to species other than those for which reliable immunization data is available shall be a violation of this chapter.
(8) IMPOUNDING OFFICER. An agent of a county or municipality vested with impounding authority for animals covered under this chapter.
(9) OWNER. Any person having a right of property in a dog, cat, ferret, or other animal, or who keeps or harbors the animal, or who has it in his or her care, or acts as its custodian, or who permits the animal to remain on or about any premises occupied by him or her.
(10) PERSON. Individuals, firms, partnerships, and associations.
(11) QUARANTINE FOR RABIES OBSERVATION. Confinement under the direct care, custody, control, and supervision of a licensed veterinarian for a period of 10 days subsequent to the date of the exposure, or as otherwise directed by the appropriate health officer.
(12) RABIES OFFICER. A licensed veterinarian as defined in Section 34-29-61, duly appointed by the county board of health and approved by the State Health Officer and State Veterinarian.