(a) The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA), upon application from a person required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun, may issue an exemption from this chapter for any motor vehicle owned by the person or in which the person is a habitual passenger. The application shall be supported by written statement of that fact from a physician licensed to practice medicine in this state. Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b), the exemption may be issued with the conditions and limitations prescribed by ALEA.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-5C-4
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- person: Every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
(b) An exemption granted pursuant to subsection (a) to persons with light-sensitive prophyria shall apply to all areas of the windshield and windows prescribed by the physician in the written statement submitted as part of the application.
(c) ALEA shall design a decal with a unique identification number to be issued to each person granted an exemption pursuant to this section. The decal shall be placed on the windshield of each motor vehicle operated by the exempt person. The department may charge a reasonable fee for each decal issued. The proceeds of the fee shall be used by the department to defray the costs of designing the decal and administering the exemption process.