(a) Notwithstanding Sections 32-6-64, 32-6-67, and 32-6-68, upon application to the judge of probate or license commissioner, compliance with motor vehicle registration and licensing laws, payment of regular fees required by law for license plates for private passenger or pleasure motor vehicles, and payment of an additional annual fee of fifty dollars ($50), owners of motor vehicles who are residents of Alabama shall upon request be issued a personalized “In Memory” license plate honoring deceased family members.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-6-155.2
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Probate: Proving a will
- registration: The registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of vehicles. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(b) These plates shall be valid for five years and may then be replaced with a personalized license plate.
(c) Payment of required license fees and taxes for the years during which a new plate is not issued shall be evidenced as provided in Section 32-6-63.
(d) The plates shall be issued, printed, and processed like other personalized plates provided for by law and shall be furnished for the licensing year commencing January 1, 2016.
(e) The State Revenue Department shall prescribe for identification purposes any number or symbol necessary to the language requested by a person for an “In Memory” license plate issued.
(f) The additional revenues derived from the sales of the distinctive motor vehicle license plates shall be distributed monthly to the State General Fund.