The board shall perform all the following duties:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 34-25A-7
- board: The Alabama State Board of Prosthetists and Orthotists. See Alabama Code 19-3-85
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- ORTHOTIC SUPPLIER: A person registered with the board who is employed by or has a contractual relationship with a manufacturer of orthoses or orthosis components and who has complied with the registration requirements of the board. See Alabama Code 19-3-85
- orthotist: A person licensed to practice orthotics under this chapter. See Alabama Code 19-3-85
- prosthetist: A person who is licensed to practice prosthetics under this chapter. See Alabama Code 19-3-85
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(1) Establish and publish continuing education requirements for persons licensed in this chapter.
(2) Examine for, approve, deny, revoke, suspend, reinstate, and renew licensure accreditation or registration of duly qualified applicants and develop, promulgate, and establish fines, penalties, and requirements for reinstatement of licensure, accreditation, or registration.
(3) Receive applications, issue licenses, accreditations, or registrations to applicants who have met the requirements for licensure, accreditation, or registration, and deny licenses, accreditations, or registrations to applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications.
(4) Hire administrative, clerical, investigative, and other staff as needed to implement this chapter and hire individuals licensed under this chapter to serve as examiners for any practical examinations required by the board either within the state classified service or not within it.
(5) Promulgate and publish rules and regulations in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act to administer this chapter. Any rule or regulation defining the scope of practice or permissible activities of a licensed orthotist, licensed prosthetist, or a licensed prosthetist/orthotist or a registered orthotic supplier shall be published jointly with the State Board of Medical Examiners.
(6) Develop and promulgate requirements and establish fees for the licensure of mastectomy fitters, orthotic fitters, therapeutic shoe fitters, orthotic assistants, prosthetic assistants, or prosthetic/orthotic assistants. Such licenses shall be regulated and issued by the board.
(7) Prepare and administer, or approve the preparation and administration of, examinations for applicants for licensure.