As used in this article, unless the context requires otherwise, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 36-21-101
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(1) BOARD. Tuition Eligibility Board.
(2) ELIGIBLE PROGRAM. Any program leading to a diploma, certificate, or undergraduate degree in a state college, state community college, state junior college, state technical college, or state university.
(3) RESCUE SQUAD MEMBER. A member of an organized rescue squad of a city, town, county, or other subdivision of the state or of a public corporation, organized for the purpose of providing, within the scope of his or her practice: First aid, treatment or transport of the sick or injured; rescue or recovery operations at incidents of drowning; search and rescue of individuals lost or incapable of self rescue; or any other emergency or non-emergency incident where the services provided by the rescue squad are deemed necessary for incident stabilization. The term includes all commanders, officers, and members of organized rescue squads that are members of the Alabama Association of Rescue Squads.
(4) TUITION. The cost of instruction and fees to the student as stated in the institution’s catalog, plus the cost of books and supplies.
(5) VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER. Any person who meets all requirements set forth by his or her department, as attested by the chief of that department, and who is any of the following:
a. A member of a certified volunteer fire department as provided in Section 9-3-17.
b. A volunteer firefighter of a fire department of an incorporated municipality.
c. A volunteer firefighter of a fire district established pursuant to state law.