(a) Compliance with the notice requirements of Section 37-15-4 is not required of persons responsible for emergency excavation or demolition; provided, however, that such person gives, before commencing or as soon as practicable thereafter, notice of the emergency excavation or demolition to each operator having underground facilities located in the area or to the “One-Call Notification System” acting on behalf of the operator. However, every person who shall engage in such emergency excavation or demolition shall take all necessary and reasonable precautions to avoid or minimize damage to existing underground facilities.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 37-15-7
- damage: Includes, but is not limited to, the substantial weakening of structural or lateral support of an underground facility, penetration or destruction of any underground facility's protective coating, housing, or other protective device, and the severance (partial or complete) of any underground facility, but does not apply to any operator's abandoned underground facility. See Alabama Code 37-15-2
- demolition: Any operation by which a structure or mass of material is wrecked, razed, rendered, moved, or removed by means of any tools, equipment, or explosives. See Alabama Code 37-15-2
- EMERGENCY EXCAVATION OR DEMOLITION: An excavation or demolition that is required to eliminate an imminent danger to life, health, property, or the environment or required for the repair or restoration of operator service that is required to be performed before the notification and response procedures required in Section 37-15-4 and 37-15-6 may be fully utilized. See Alabama Code 37-15-2
- excavator: Any person who engages in excavation. See Alabama Code 37-15-2
- operator: Any person, governmental agency, or political subdivision, or its agents, who owns or operates a public or private underground facility which furnishes services, information, or materials, or transports or transmits electric energy, light, water, steam, oil, gases, gas, mixture of gases, petroleum, petroleum products, hazardous or flammable liquids, toxic or corrosive fluids and gases, or items of like nature, and telecommunications, cable television, water, drainage, sewage, or other systems of like nature. See Alabama Code 37-15-2
- person: An individual, joint venture, partnership, association, authority, cooperative, firm, corporation, governmental entity, or any subdivision or instrumentality of that entity and its employees, agents, or legal representatives. See Alabama Code 37-15-2
(b) An excavator misrepresenting an emergency excavation or demolition is subject to the civil penalties imposed pursuant to Section 37-15-10.