For the purposes of this article the following words and terms shall have the following meanings unless a different meaning is expressly stated or clearly indicated by the context:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 37-4-90
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(1) PERSON. Any individual, firm, joint venture, partnership, corporation, association, or joint stock association and includes any trustee, receiver, assignee, or personal representative thereof engaged in the transportation of hazardous liquids.
(2) HAZARDOUS LIQUID:
a. Petroleum, petroleum products; or anhydrous ammonia.
b. Any substance or material which is in liquid state, including liquified natural gas (LNG), when transported by pipeline facilities and which may pose an unreasonable risk to life or property when transported by pipeline facilities;
(3) TRANSPORTATION OF HAZARDOUS LIQUIDS. The movement of hazardous liquids by intrastate pipeline, or their storage incidental to such movement, except that it shall not include: any such movement through gathering lines in rural locations, coastal waters, or onshore production; refining or manufacturing, cleansing and processing facilities, not including LNG facilities; or storage or in-plant piping systems associated with any such facilities;
(4) FACILITIES. Includes, without limitation, new and existing pipe, right-of-way, any equipment, facility, or building used or intended for use in the transportation of hazardous liquids, and any facility used in the liquification of natural gas, but “rights-of-way” as used in this title does not authorize the commission to prescribe the location or the routing of any pipeline facility;
(5) COMMISSION. The Alabama Public Service Commission;
(6) FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS. The minimum standards of safety adopted by the United States Department of Transportation pursuant to the Natural Gas Pipeline Safety Act of 1968 and the Hazardous Liquid Pipeline Safety Act of 1979 (P.L. 96-129) (Title 49 C.F.R., Parts 191-195) or any amendments thereto, and any rules and regulations promulgated by any regulatory agency of the United States having jurisdiction thereof.