The following words and terms as used in this article shall, unless the context requires a different meaning, have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 45-2-40.01
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- establishment: shall mean a place of business or operation of any kind. See Alabama Code 45-2-40.01
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: shall include a firm, partnership, association of persons, corporation, organization, or any other group acting as a unit. See Alabama Code 45-2-40.01
(1) The term “massage parlor” shall mean any establishment, building, room, or place other than a regularly licensed hospital, medical clinic, nursing home, or dispensary, the offices of a physician, a surgeon, or an osteopath, where nonmedical, nonsurgical, nonosteopathic, and nonchiropractic manipulative exercises, massages, or procedures are practiced upon the human body, or any part thereof, for other than cosmetic or beautifying purposes, with or without the use of mechanical or other devices, by anyone not a physician, surgeon, osteopath, or chiropractor or of a similarly registered status, and shall include any place where baths, exercises, or similar services are offered.
(2) The term “masseur (male) and masseuse (female)” is a person who practices any one or more of the arts of body massage, either by hand or mechanical apparatus, oil rubs, corrective gymnastics, mechanotherapy, including color therapy, dietetics, hot packs, cabinet, tub, shower, sitz, vapor, steam, or any other special type of bath.
(3) The word “establishment” shall mean a place of business or operation of any kind.
(4) The word “person” shall include a firm, partnership, association of persons, corporation, organization, or any other group acting as a unit.