For purposes of this chapter, the following words shall have the following meanings:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 8-19D-1
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
(1) PERSON. An individual, corporation, company, partnership, estate, trust, association, foundation, cooperative, or any other legal entity.
(2) PRIZE. Any item of value given to a winner in a sweepstakes who has been selected on the basis of lot or chance.
(3) QUALIFYING LANGUAGE. The language in the solicitation that accompanies the representation that the person being solicited has won or has been selected to receive a prize and that indicates the circumstances or provisions under which the person being solicited will be eligible to receive the prize. The term includes, but is not limited to, language which requires the person to perform some act, to submit information, to hold the winning number, or for the person’s assigned numbers to be drawn by the sponsor of the sweepstakes.
(4) SWEEPSTAKES. A legal contest or game where anything of value is distributed by lot or chance.