|Article 1||General Provisions||34-9-1 – 34-9-29|
|Article 2||Board of Dental Examiners||34-9-40 – 34-9-47|
|Article 3||Use of Anesthesia by Dentists||34-9-60 – 34-9-65|
|Article 4||Oral Conscious Sedation||34-9-80 – 34-9-90|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 34 > Chapter 9
- analgesia: The diminution or elimination of pain in the conscious patient. See Alabama Code 34-9-80
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- anxiolysis: A pharmacological induced state, oral or inhalation, where a patient experiences a diminution of anxiety. See Alabama Code 34-9-80
- Articles of incorporation: include amended and restated articles of incorporation and, in the case of a corporation existing on January 1, 1981, its certificate of incorporation, including any amended certificate, and also include, except where the context otherwise requires, articles of merger. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40
- association: Includes, but is not limited to, an unincorporated nonprofit association as defined in Chapter 17 and an unincorporated professional association as defined in Article 1 of Chapter 30. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- board: The Alabama Board of Dental Examiners. See Alabama Code 34-9-80
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries. See Alabama Code 2-1-1
- conservator: A person who is appointed by a court to manage the estate of a protected person and includes a limited conservator described in Section 26-2A-148(a). See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- cooperative: A cooperative marketing association for marketing of farm products. See Alabama Code 2-1-1
- court: Every court and judge having jurisdiction in a case. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- court: A probate court of this state. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- day: When used in the computation of time excludes the first day and includes the last day of the period so computed, unless the last day is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, in which event the period runs until the end of the next day that is not a Saturday, a Sunday, or a legal holiday. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- department: The State Department of Revenue. See Alabama Code 45-33-243
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Distribution: means a direct or indirect transfer of money or other property, except its own shares, or incurrence of indebtedness by a corporation to or for the benefit of any one or more of its shareholders in respect of any of its shares. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40
- enteral: Any technique of administration in which the agent is absorbed through the gastrointestinal (GI) tract or oral mucosa (i. See Alabama Code 34-9-80
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Entity: includes corporation and foreign corporation; nonprofit corporation; for profit and nonprofit association; business trust; estate; partnership; limited liability company; trust; and two or more persons having a joint or common economic interest; and state, United States, and foreign government. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- estate: Includes the property of the person whose affairs are subject to this chapter. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- foreign: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and existing under the laws of a jurisdiction other than this state. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- guardian: A person who has qualified as a guardian of a minor or incapacitated person pursuant to parental or spousal nomination or court appointment and includes a limited guardian as described in Sections 26-2A-78(e) and 26-2A-105(c), but excludes one who is merely a guardian ad litem. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- inhalation: A technique of administration in which a gaseous or volatile agent is introduced into the pulmonary tree and the primary effect is due to absorption through the pulmonary bed. See Alabama Code 34-9-80
- Jurisprudence: The study of law and the structure of the legal system.
- Legatee: A beneficiary of a decedent
- Legislative session: That part of a chamber's daily session in which it considers legislative business (bills, resolutions, and actions related thereto).
- letters: Includes letters of guardianships and letters of conservatorship. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- LOCALIZED ANESTHESIA: The elimination of sensations, especially pain, in one part of the body by the topical application or regional injection of a drug. See Alabama Code 34-9-80
- merger: The combination of one or more domestic entities with one or more domestic entities or non-code organizations resulting in:
(A) one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations;
(B) the creation of one or more new domestic entities or non-code organizations, or one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations; or
(C) one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations and the creation of one or more new domestic entities or non-code organizations. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- minor: A person who is under 19 years of age and has not otherwise had the disabilities of minority removed. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- minor ward: is a minor for whom a guardian has been appointed solely because of minority. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- ORAL CONSCIOUS SEDATION: A depressed level of consciousness that retains the patient's ability to independently and continuously maintain an airway and to respond appropriately to physical stimulation or verbal command and that is produced by a pharmacological or nonpharmacological method or a combination thereof. See Alabama Code 34-9-80
- parent: Includes any person entitled to take, or who would be entitled to take if the child died without a will, as a parent by intestate succession from the child whose relationship is in question and excludes any person who is only a stepparent, foster parent, or grandparent. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- person: Any individual, firm, partnership, corporation, association, or any combination thereof. See Alabama Code 45-33-243
- person: An individual, a partnership, a corporation or two or more individuals having a joint or common interest. See Alabama Code 2-1-1
- person: An individual or an organization, unless the context otherwise requires. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- petition: A written request to the court for an order after notice. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- proceeding: Includes action at law and suit in equity. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- producer: Any person engaging in the business of severing pit run sand, clay, sand-gravel, clay-gravel, sand-clay, and gravel from the soil within Hale County. See Alabama Code 45-33-243
- property: Includes all property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or tangible or intangible, or any right or interest therein. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- property: Includes both real and personal property or any interest therein and means anything that may be the subject of ownership. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- PROTECTED PERSON: A minor or other person for whom a conservator has been appointed or other protective order has been made as provided in Sections 26-2A-136 and 26-2A-137. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- PROTECTIVE PROCEEDING: A proceeding under the provisions of Article 2, Division 3. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- purchaser: Any person acquiring title, outright or conditionally, to any interest in severed pit run sand, clay, sand-gravel, clay-gravel, sand-clay, and gravel. See Alabama Code 45-33-243
- Remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings.
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- severing: Cutting, mining, stripping, or otherwise taking or removing from the soil within Hale County. See Alabama Code 45-33-243
- Shareholder: means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40
- Shares: means the units into which the proprietary interests in a corporation are divided. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40
- state: Includes, when referring to a part of the United States, a state or commonwealth, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory or possession, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- ton: A short ton of 2,000 pounds. See Alabama Code 45-33-243
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- transporter: Any person transporting pit run sand, clay, sand-gravel, clay-gravel, sand-clay, and gravel from the place where it is severed or from any other place to any other place, within or without Hale County. See Alabama Code 45-33-243
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- ward: A person for whom a guardian has been appointed. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20