|Chapter 1||Regulation of Dentists; Creation of Board|
|Chapter 2||Marking Requirements for Dentures and Partial Dentures|
|Chapter 3||Continuing Education|
|Chapter 4||Referral Services|
|Chapter 5||Dental Underserved Area and Minority Recruitment Program|
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 25 > Article 14
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- board: refers to the state board of dentistry established under Indiana Code 25-14-3-3
- committee: means the dental recruitment committee established by section 4 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 25-14-5-1
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- continuing education course: means an orderly process of instruction designed to directly enhance the practicing dentist's knowledge and skill in providing relevant dentist services that is approved by an approved organization. See Indiana Code 25-14-3-4
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- dentist: means an individual who holds a license to practice dentistry in Indiana issued under Indiana Code 25-14-2-1
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- fund: refers to the Indiana dental recruitment fund established by section 5 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 25-14-5-2
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisprudence: The study of law and the structure of the legal system.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- license: means a license to practice dentistry under Indiana Code 25-14-3-5
- license period: means the two (2) year period beginning on March 2, 1992, and every two (2) years thereafter. See Indiana Code 25-14-3-6
- minority: means an individual identified as any of the following:
Indiana Code 25-14-5-2.5
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- study club: means a group of at least five (5) dentists who do the following:
Indiana Code 25-14-3-7
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- underserved area: means a county, city, town, census tract, or township designated by the state department of health under Indiana Code 25-14-5-3
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5