|Part 1||Board of Registrars||45-37-110|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 45 > Chapter 37 > Article 11
- ACCUMULATED CONTRIBUTIONS: The sum of all the amounts deducted from the compensation of a member credited to his or her individual account in the Judges' and Clerks' Plan, together with regular interest thereon. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- ACTUARIAL EQUIVALENT: A benefit of equal value when computed upon the basis of the mortality tables adopted by the Board of Control and regular interest. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- affiliate: A person who controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with another person. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- annuity: Payments for life derived from the accumulated contributions of a member. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- AVERAGE FINAL COMPENSATION: The average annual compensation of a judge or clerk with respect to which he or she had made contributions pursuant to Section 12-18-152 during the five years in his or her last 10 years of membership service for which the average is highest or during his or her entire period of membership service if less than five years. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- domestic: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and exists pursuant to this title. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- DOMESTIC ENTITY: An organization formed and existing pursuant to this title. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- entity: A domestic entity or foreign entity. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- fund: The Judicial Retirement Fund provided for in this chapter. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- GOVERNING AUTHORITY: A person or group of persons who are entitled to manage and direct the affairs of an entity pursuant to this title and the governing documents of the entity, except that if the governing documents of the entity or this title divide the authority to manage and direct the affairs of the entity among different persons or groups of persons according to different matters, governing authority means the person or group of persons entitled to manage and direct the affairs of the entity with respect to a matter under the governing documents of the entity or this title. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- JUDGE OR CLERK: Any justice of the Supreme Court, judge of the Court of Civil Appeals, judge of the Court of Criminal Appeals, circuit judge, district judge, probate judge, or circuit clerk who is not a member of the Judicial Retirement Fund or Clerks' and Registers' Supernumerary Fund on November 7, 2016 and who is first elected or appointed to his or her position on or after November 8, 2016. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- member: Any judge or clerk included in membership of the plan. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- MEMBERSHIP SERVICE: Service as a judge or clerk on account of which contributions are made. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- month: means a calendar month. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- pension: Payments for life derived from money provided by the employer. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- person: An individual, including the estate of an incompetent or deceased individual, or an organization, whether created by the laws of this state or another state or foreign country, including, without limitation, a general partnership, limited liability partnership, limited partnership, limited liability limited partnership, limited liability company, corporation, professional corporation, nonprofit corporation, professional association, trustee, personal representative, fiduciary, as defined in Section 19-3-150 or person performing in any similar capacity, business trust, estate, trust, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- plan: The Judges' and Clerks' Plan provided for in Section 12-18-151. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Probate: Proving a will
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- property: Includes all property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or tangible or intangible, or any right or interest therein. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- retirement: Withdrawal from active service with a retirement allowance or optional benefit in lieu thereof granted under this article. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- RETIREMENT ALLOWANCE: The sum of the annuity and the pension. See Alabama Code 12-18-150
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- subsidiary: An entity or organization at least 50 percent of:
(A) the ownership or membership interest of which is owned by a parent entity or parent organization; or
(B) the voting power of which is possessed by a parent entity or parent organization. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- trustee: A person who serves as a trustee of a trust, including a real estate investment trust. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 1-1-1