|Part 1||Alabama Forestry Commission Forest Protection Program||45-41-140 – 45-41-140.04|
|Part 2||Fire Fighting Districts||45-41-141 – 45-41-141.19|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 45 > Chapter 41 > Article 14
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- AUTHORIZING AMENDMENT: That certain amendment to the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended, proposed by Act 88-479 enacted at the 1988 Regular Session of the Legislature. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- building: As used in this article, such term means any structure which may be entered and utilized by persons for business, public use, lodging or the storage of goods, and includes any vehicle, railway car, aircraft or watercraft used for the lodging of persons or for carrying on business therein. See Alabama Code 45-41-141.12
- code: The Code of Alabama 1975, as amended. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- commission: The Lee County Commission or other governing body of the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- corporation: Includes a domestic or foreign business corporation as defined in Chapter 2, a domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3, a domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4, and those entities specified in Chapter 20 as corporate. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- county: Lee County, Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- director: An individual who serves on the board of directors, by whatever name known, of a foreign or domestic corporation. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- district: A fire fighting district established pursuant to Amendment 392 or any law providing for the implementation of the authorizing amendment of Amendment 392. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- DISTRICT FIRE PROTECTION FUND: A district fire protection fund established and maintained in the county treasury pursuant to this part. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- domestic: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and exists under this title. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- domestic corporation: means a business corporation, which is not a foreign corporation, incorporated under or subject to the provisions of this chapter. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- dwelling: Any building, structure, or other improvement to real property used or expected to be used as a dwelling or residence for one or more human beings, including specifically and without limiting the generality of the foregoing,
a. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Employee: includes an officer but not a director. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- Entity: includes corporation and foreign corporation; nonprofit corporation; for profit and nonprofit association; business trust; estate; partnership; limited liability company; trust; and two or more persons having a joint or common economic interest; and state, United States, and foreign government. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Explosion: includes , but is not limited to, a sudden and rapid combustion, causing violent expansion of the air, or the sudden bursting or breaking up or in pieces from an internal or other force. See Alabama Code 45-41-141.12
- FAIR MARKET VALUE: The fair and reasonable market value (or, if applicable, the current use value) of a commercial building or dwelling (as the case may be), as such value is appraised by the tax assessor or the State Department of Revenue pursuant to applicable provisions of the code, prior to the assessment thereof for purposes of state or county ad valorem taxation pursuant to Section 40-8-1. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- FINANCIAL CHARGE: A financial charge or assessment levied by the commission in accordance with the authorizing amendment and this part. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- FIRE PROTECTION CORPORATION: Any public corporation, district, or authority that is:
a. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- foreign: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and existing under the laws of a jurisdiction other than this state. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- individual: A natural person and the estate of an incompetent or deceased natural person. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Intangible property: Property that has no intrinsic value, but is merely the evidence of value such as stock certificates, bonds, and promissory notes.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- merger: The combination of one or more domestic entities with one or more domestic entities or non-code organizations resulting in:
(A) one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations;
(B) the creation of one or more new domestic entities or non-code organizations, or one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations; or
(C) one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations and the creation of one or more new domestic entities or non-code organizations. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- month: means a calendar month. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- municipality: An incorporated city or town. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- officer: An individual elected, appointed, or designated as an officer of an entity by the entity's governing authority or under the entity's governing documents. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- owner: A person owning one or more dwellings or commercial buildings. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- partner: A limited partner or general partner. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- partnership: Includes a general partnership, a limited liability partnership, a foreign limited liability partnership, a limited partnership, a foreign limited partnership, a limited liability limited partnership, and a foreign limited liability limited partnership. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- SERVICE AREA: The geographic area or areas in which a fire protection corporation is authorized, whether by statute, by its certificate of incorporation, or similar corporate charter (as such may from time to time be amended), or otherwise, to provide or render fire protection, fire prevention, and related services, as such area or areas may from time to time exist. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- state: The State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- store: as used in this article shall be construed to mean and include any store or stores or any mercantile establishment or establishments which are owned, operated, maintained, controlled or for which the buying is done by the same person, firm, corporation, copartnership, or association, either domestic or foreign, in which goods, wares or merchandise of any kind are sold, either at retail or wholesale. See Alabama Code 40-12-310
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- TAX ASSESSOR: The tax assessor of the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- TAX COLLECTOR: The tax collector of the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- treasurer: The county treasurer of the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- trustee: A person who serves as a trustee of a trust, including a real estate investment trust. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- UNIT OF PROPERTY: Any dwelling or commercial building, together with the real property on which it is situated or to which it is appurtenant. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT: Any volunteer fire department with which the commission, pursuant to Amendment 392, may enter into an agreement or agreements with respect to providing fire protection, fire prevention, and related services and facilities within the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608