(a) A person may not submit a bid or work as a contractor until that person has been issued a certificate of registration as a contractor by the department. A partnership or joint venture shall be considered registered as a contractor if one of the general partners or venturers whose name appears in the name under which the partnership or venture does business is registered as a contractor.
Terms Used In Alaska Statutes 08.18.011
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, organization, business trust, or society, as well as a natural person. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
(b) A general contractor may not use a bid or proposal from, award a bid or proposal to, contract with, or allow a person required to be registered under this chapter to work for the general contractor as a specialty contractor unless the person is registered as a specialty contractor under this chapter.
(c) Unless exempt under AS 08.18.156 or serving lawfully as an associate home inspector under (d) of this section, an individual may not perform a home inspection for a residence
(1) not previously occupied as a residence unless that individual is registered as a home inspector for new homes under this chapter;
(2) previously occupied as a residence unless that individual is registered as a home inspector for existing homes under this chapter.
(d) Notwithstanding (c) of this section, an individual who is not registered as a home inspector under this chapter may perform a home inspection as an associate home inspector if the individual is
(1) employed by a registered home inspector who supervises the associate’s work and the inspection is of the type that the supervising individual is authorized to perform; and
(2) registered with the department as an associate home inspector.
(e) A registered home inspector who employs an associate home inspector under (d) of this section is liable for the work done by the associate home inspector.
(f) An individual who holds a joint registration for home inspection is considered to be registered as both a home inspector for new homes and a home inspector for existing homes.