(a) Except as provided in AS 08.18.085 , a person having a claim against a contractor or home inspector for any of the items referred to in AS 08.18.071 may bring suit upon the bond in the district court of the judicial district in which venue lies. A copy of the complaint shall be served by registered or certified mail upon the commissioner at the time suit is filed, and the commissioner shall maintain a record, available for public inspection, of all suits commenced. Two additional copies shall be served upon the director of the division of insurance with the payment to the director of a fee set under AS 21.06.250 , taxable as costs in the action. This service upon the director shall constitute service on the surety, and the director shall transmit the complaint or a copy of it to the surety within 72 hours after it has been received. The surety upon the bond is not liable in an aggregate amount in excess of that named in the bond, but in case claims pending at any one time exceed the amount of the bond, the claims shall be satisfied from the bond in the following order:
Terms Used In Alaska Statutes 08.18.081
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, organization, business trust, or society, as well as a natural person. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
(1) labor, including employee benefits;
(2) taxes and contributions due the state, city, and borough, in that order;
(3) material and equipment;
(4) claims for breach of contract;
(5) repair of public facilities.
(b) If a judgment is entered against the cash deposit, the commissioner, upon receipt of a certified copy of a final judgment, shall pay the judgment from the amount of the deposit, in accordance with the priorities set out in (a) of this section.
(c) If the claim for which a person may bring suit under (a) of this section is subject to AS 09.45.881 § 09.45.899, the person may not bring suit unless the person complies with AS 09.45.881 § 09.45.899.