Terms Used In Alaska Statutes > Chapter 80
- action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- alien: means
(A) an individual who is not a citizen or national of the United States, or who is not lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence, or paroled into the United States under 8 U. See Alaska Statutes 10.06.990
- board: means the board of directors of a domestic or foreign corporation. See Alaska Statutes 10.06.990
- buyer: means a person who buys or agrees to buy goods or obtain services or agrees to have services rendered or furnished from a retail seller. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- cash sale price: means the price for which the seller would have sold or furnished to the buyer and the buyer would have bought or obtained from the seller the goods or services that are the subject matter of a retail installment transaction if the sale had been a sale for cash. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- charge agreement: means an instrument
(A) entered into or performed in the state that sets out the terms of retail installment transactions that may be made under the agreement from time to time. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- commissioner: means the commissioner of commerce, community, and economic development or a designee of the commissioner. See Alaska Statutes 10.06.990
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- contract: means a contract, other than a retail charge agreement or an instrument reflecting a sale price made under a retail charge agreement, entered into or performed in the state for a retail installment transaction. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- department: means the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development. See Alaska Statutes 10.06.990
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- goods: includes merchandise certificates or coupons issued by a retail seller to be used in their face amount instead of cash in exchange for goods or services sold by the seller and goods, including a manufactured home, that, at the time of sale or subsequently, are to be so affixed to real property as to become a part of it, whether or not severable from it. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- municipality: means a political subdivision incorporated under the laws of the state that is a home rule or general law city, a home rule or general law borough, or a unified municipality. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- official fees: means the amount of the fees set by law for filing, recording, or otherwise perfecting and releasing or satisfying a retained title, lien, or other security interest created by a retail installment transaction or premiums payable for insurance in lieu of perfecting a security interest if the premiums do not exceed the fees that would otherwise normally be incurred for perfecting, filing, recording, or otherwise perfecting and releasing or satisfying a retained title, lien, or other security interest. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- person: means an individual, a corporation, a partnership, an association, a joint-stock company, an estate, a trust if the interests of the beneficiaries are evidenced by a security, an unincorporated association, a government, a political subdivision of a government, or a combination of these entities. See Alaska Statutes 10.06.990
- person: means an individual, partnership, joint venture, corporation, association, or any other group, however organized. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, and evidences of debt. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- principal balance: means the cash sale price of the goods or services that are the subject matter of a retail installment contract less the amount of the buyer?s down payment in money or goods or both, plus
(A) the amounts for insurance and official fees included in the contract if a separate identified charge is made and stated in the contract for insurance and official fees. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- property: includes real and personal property. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- retail installment contract: includes
(A) a chattel mortgage. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- retail installment transaction: means a transaction in which a retail buyer purchases goods or services from a retail seller under a retail installment contract or a retail charge agreement that provides for a service charge under which the buyer agrees to pay the unpaid balance in one or more installments. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- seller: means a person engaged in the business of selling goods or services to retail buyers. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- series of shares: means those shares within a class that have the same rights, preferences, privileges, and restrictions but that differ in one or more rights, preferences, privileges, or restrictions from other shares within the same class. See Alaska Statutes 10.06.990
- services: includes repairs, alterations, or improvements upon or in connection with real property, but does not include the services of a professional person licensed by the state, or services for which the price charged is required by law to be determined or approved by or to be filed, subject to approval or disapproval, with the United States or a state or a department, division, agency, officer, or official of either as in the case of transportation services. See Alaska Statutes 45.10.220
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- shares: means the units into which the proprietary interests in a corporation are divided. See Alaska Statutes 10.06.990
- state: means the State of Alaska unless applied to the different parts of the United States and in the latter case it includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.