A. The division, on the request of any company that has received a certificate of accreditation from either the national board of boiler and pressure vessel inspectors or the American society of mechanical engineers as an authorized inspection agency or an owner-user inspection organization, may issue to any inspector of that company a certificate as a special inspector. Before receiving a certificate, the inspector must demonstrate that the inspector holds a current commission issued by the national board of boiler and pressure vessel inspectors.
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 23-485
- Boiler: means a closed vessel in which water or other liquid is heated, steam or vapor is generated or steam or vapor is superheated, or any combination thereof, under pressure or vacuum for a use that is external to itself, by the direct application of heat from the combustion of fuels or from electricity. See Arizona Laws 23-471
- Certificate: means a certificate of competency. See Arizona Laws 23-471
- Certificate inspection: means an internal inspection, when construction permits, otherwise it means as complete an inspection as possible. See Arizona Laws 23-471
- Commission: means the industrial commission of Arizona. See Arizona Laws 23-471
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Division: means the division of occupational safety and health of the commission. See Arizona Laws 23-471
- Lined hot water heater: means a fired lined water heater with linings providing corrosion resistance for supplying potable hot water for commercial purposes. See Arizona Laws 23-471
- Pressure vessel: means a container for the containment of pressure, either internal or external. See Arizona Laws 23-471
B. A certificate as a special inspector for a company operating boilers, pressure vessels or lined hot water heaters in this state shall be issued only if, in addition to meeting the requirements of this section, the inspector is employed full time by such company and the inspector’s duties include making inspections of boilers, pressure vessels or lined hot water heaters to be used by such company and not for resale.
C. Each company employing such special inspectors, within sixty days after each boiler, pressure vessel or lined hot water heater inspection made by the inspectors, shall file a report of the inspection with the division on appropriate forms or make entry into the division’s computer database.
D. All insurance companies shall notify the division of all boilers, pressure vessels or lined hot water heaters on which insurance is written. All insurance companies shall also notify the division of all boilers, pressure vessels or hot water heaters on which insurance is cancelled, not renewed or suspended because of unsafe conditions.
E. The furnishing of a certificate inspection, as authorized by the commission pursuant to section 23-475, that is conducted incidental to the issuance or renewal of boiler and machinery insurance or a contractual certificate inspection when performed in accordance with the standards and regulations adopted by the commission shall not subject an insurer, a noninsurer, whether domestic or foreign, or a contracted inspection organization, its agents or its employees to liability for damages for any act or omission in the course of performing inspections as provided by this section. This subsection does not apply if the gross negligence of the insurer, noninsurer or contracted inspection organization, its agent or its employee created the condition that was the proximate cause of the injury, death or loss.