In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 35-101
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Process: means a citation, writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Arizona Laws 1-215
1. "Allotment" means the allocation of an appropriation or other fund source over a full fiscal year within a budget program or expenditure class.
2. "Authorized agent" means a commercial enterprise that is contracted to process transactions on behalf of a state agency.
3. "Budget estimates" means statements with accompanying explanations, as provided by this chapter, in which a budget unit states its financial requirements and requests appropriations.
4. "Budget program" means functions and activities of a budget unit or within a budget unit that are preplanned to fulfill a distinct mission.
5. "Budget unit" means any department, commission, board, institution or other agency of this state receiving, expending or disbursing state monies or incurring obligations against this state.
6. "Cardholder" means any person:
(a) Named on the face of a credit card to whom or for whose benefit the credit card is issued by an issuer.
(b) In possession of a credit card with the consent of the person to whom the credit card was issued.
7. "Claim" means a demand against the state for payment for either:
(a) Goods delivered or, in the case of highway construction, goods or facilities to be delivered by the federal government.
(b) Services performed.
8. "Convenience fee" means an additional fee that is imposed by an authorized agent on a web-based or voice response portal transaction for the acceptance of a credit card that would not be charged if the same transaction were completed by an alternate method of payment.
9. "Credit card" means:
(a) Any instrument or device, whether known as a credit card, charge card, credit plate, courtesy card or identification card or by any other name, that is issued with or without a fee by an issuer for the use of the cardholder in obtaining money, goods, services or anything else of value, either on credit or in possession or in consideration of an undertaking or guaranty by the issuer of the payment of a check drawn by the cardholder, on a promise to pay in part or in full at a future time, whether or not all or any part of the indebtedness represented by this promise to make deferred payment is secured or unsecured.
(b) Any debit card, electronic benefit transfer card or other access instrument or device, other than a check that is signed by the holder or other authorized signatory on the deposit account, that draws monies from a deposit account in order to obtain money, goods, services or anything else of value.
(c) Any stored value card, smart card or other instrument or device that enables a person to obtain goods, services or anything else of value through the use of value stored on the instrument or device.
(d) The number assigned to an instrument or device described in subdivision (a), (b) or (c) of this paragraph even if the physical instrument or device is not used or presented.
10. "Discount fee" means the fee that is calculated and charged by the credit card issuer or a financial institution pursuant to an agreement for the processing of any credit card transaction.
11. "Encumbrance" means an obligation in the form of any purchase order, contract or other commitment that is chargeable to an appropriation or any other authorized fund source and for which a part of the fund source is reserved. It ceases to be an encumbrance when paid or canceled.
12. "Expenditure class" means one of the kinds of expenditure denoting a class of services or commodities purchased or properties acquired as specified in the classification of expenditures prescribed by the director of the department of administration for use in expenditure accounting, in making budget estimates and in the budget reports and budgets.
13. "Issuer" means any business organization, state agency or financial institution, or its duly authorized agent, that issues a credit card.
14. "Prepayment" means the payment of a claim before receiving the goods or services.
15. "Processing fee" means a fee that is charged by an entity other than a credit card issuer or the processing financial institution to process a credit card transaction.
16. "Purchase order" means a document that is signed by the appropriate agency authorized signatory, that requests a vendor to deliver described goods or services at a specific price and that on delivery and acceptance of the goods or services by this state becomes an obligation of this state.
17. "Service fee or surcharge" means a fee, whether fixed or variable, that is in addition to the transaction amount, that is charged by a state agency when the state agency accepts a credit card for payment and that is necessary for the state agency to process the payment.
18. "Transaction amount" means the total amount due to the state for any goods, service or license or anything else of value.