Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 32 > Chapter 10
- Advertisement: means any written or oral publication, dissemination, solicitation or circulation that is intended to directly or indirectly induce any person to enter into an agreement for contracting services with a contractor, including business cards and telephone directory display advertisements. See Arizona Laws 32-1101
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Commercial contractor: is synonymous with the terms "commercial builder" "industrial builder" and "public works builder" and means any person, firm, partnership, corporation, association or other organization, or any combination, that, for compensation, undertakes to or offers to undertake to, purports to have the capacity to undertake to, submits a bid to, does himself or by or through others, or directly or indirectly supervises others, except within residential property lines, to:
(a) Construct, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any building, highway, road, railroad, excavation or other structure, project, development or improvement, or to do any part thereof, including the erection of scaffolding or any other structure or work in connection with the construction. See Arizona Laws 32-1101
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contractor: includes subcontractors, specialty contractors, floor covering contractors, landscape contractors, other than gardeners, and consultants representing themselves as having the ability to supervise or manage a construction project for the benefit of the property owner, including the hiring and firing of specialty contractors, the scheduling of work on the project and the selection and purchasing of construction material. See Arizona Laws 32-1101
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Counterclaim: A claim that a defendant makes against a plaintiff.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dual licensed contractor: is synonymous with the term "commercial and residential builder" and means any person, firm, partnership, corporation, association or other organization, or any combination, that undertakes to or offers to undertake to, purports to have the capacity to undertake to, submits a bid to, does himself or by or through others, or directly or indirectly supervises others under a single license on commercial or residential property to:
(a) Construct, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any building, excavation or other structure or improvement, including any appurtenances, or to do any part thereof. See Arizona Laws 32-1101
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Fund: means the residential contractors' recovery fund. See Arizona Laws 32-1131
- License: means an authorization for the person who is listed on the electronic, paper or other records maintained by the registrar to act in the capacity of a contractor. See Arizona Laws 32-1101
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Minor: means a person under the age of eighteen years. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Named on a license: means required to be identified pursuant to section 32-1122, subsection B. See Arizona Laws 32-1101
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, trust, society or natural person. See Arizona Laws 32-1101
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Population: means the population according to the most recent United States decennial census. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Registered mail: includes certified mail. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Registrar: means the registrar of contractors. See Arizona Laws 32-1101
- Residential contractor: is synonymous with the term "residential builder" and means any person, firm, partnership, corporation, association or other organization, or a combination of any of them, that undertakes to or offers to undertake to, purports to have the capacity to undertake to, submits a bid to, or does himself or by or through others, within residential property lines:
(a) Construct, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any residential structure, such as houses, townhouses, condominiums or cooperative units. See Arizona Laws 32-1101
- Residential contractor: means a contractor as defined in section 32-1101 who is licensed to perform work on residential property pursuant to this chapter and who engages in residential contracting. See Arizona Laws 32-1131
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Solar contractor: means a contractor, as defined in section 32-1101, who installs, alters or repairs solar devices. See Arizona Laws 32-1170
- Solar device: means a device for the use and application of solar energy incidental to:
(a) Boilers, steamfitting and process piping. See Arizona Laws 32-1170
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Writing: includes printing. See Arizona Laws 1-215