Terms Used In California Codes > Elections Code > Division 0.5 > Chapter 1
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- ballot: means any of the following:
California Education Code 88078
- Board: means the Respiratory Care Board of California. See California Education Code 88066
- candidate: includes any officeholder who is subject to a recall election. See California Education Code 88085
- Classification: means that each position in the classified service shall have a designated title, a regular minimum number of assigned hours per day, days per week, and months per year, a specific statement of the duties required to be performed by the employees in each such position, and the regular monthly salary ranges for each such position. See California Education Code 88001
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 17321
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Election: means any election including a primary that is provided for under this code. See California Education Code 88097
- Elections official: means any of the following:
California Education Code 88100
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- General election: means either of the following:
California Education Code 88104
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Medical director: means a physician and surgeon who is a member of a health care facility's active medical staff and who is knowledgeable in respiratory care. See California Education Code 88066
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Party: means a political party or organization that has qualified for participation in any primary or presidential general election. See California Education Code 88122
- Primary election: includes all primary nominating elections provided for by this code. See California Education Code 88127
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Respiratory care: includes "respiratory therapy" or "inhalation therapy" where those terms mean respiratory care. See California Education Code 88066
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Food and Agriculture. See California Education Code 19961
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 17325
- State agency: includes every state office, officer, department, division, bureau, board, authority, and commission. See California Education Code 88066
- Voter: means any elector who is registered under this code. See California Education Code 88183
- Voter-nominated office: means a congressional or state elective office for which a candidate may choose to have his or her party preference or lack of party preference indicated upon the ballot. See California Education Code 88185