|Chapter 1||General Provisions|
|Chapter 2||Peace Officer Environmental Enforcement Training|
|Chapter 3||Environmental Training And Enforcement|
|Chapter 4||Environmental Circuit Prosecutor Project|
|Chapter 5||Implementation and Funding Priorities|
Terms Used In California Codes > Penal Code > Part 4 > Title 13
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Ancillary administration: Probate administration of property (usually real property) owned in a State other than the one in which the decedent had his (her) principal residence at the time of death.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Authority: means the California Educational Facilities Authority created by this chapter or any board, body, commission, department, or officer succeeding to the principal functions of the authority or to whom the power conferred upon the authority by this chapter is given by law. See California Education Code 94110
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- board: means the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 20
- City: includes incorporated city, city and county, municipal corporation, municipality, town, and incorporated town. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 14
- Conservator: includes a limited conservator. See California Probate Code 30
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- county: includes "city and county". See California Penal Code 7
- County: includes city and county. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 15
- Creditor: means a person who may have a claim against estate property. See California Probate Code 9000
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Executive director: means the Executive Director of the California Educational Facilities Authority. See California Education Code 94157
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Financial institution: means a bank as defined under paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) of Section 1201 of the Commercial Code, including a federal- or state-chartered bank, that has been approved by the authority to enroll qualified loans in the program and has agreed to all terms and conditions set forth in this article and as may be required by the authority. See California Education Code 94157
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Income: as used in this chapter means the return derived from principal. See California Civil Code 731.03
- Instrument: means a will, a document establishing or modifying a trust, a deed, or any other writing that designates a beneficiary or makes a donative transfer of property. See California Probate Code 45
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Loss reserve account: means an account in the State Treasury or in any financial institution that is established and maintained by the authority for the benefit of a financial institution participating in the program for the purposes of any of the following:
California Education Code 94157
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- peace officer: signify any one of the officers mentioned in Chapter 4. See California Penal Code 7
- Person: includes any person, firm, partnership, general partner of a partnership, limited liability company, registered limited liability partnership, foreign limited liability partnership, association, corporation, company, syndicate, estate, trust, business trust, or organization of any kind. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 19
- Person: means an individual, corporation, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, or other entity. See California Probate Code 56
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Personal representative: means executor, administrator, administrator with the will annexed, special administrator, successor personal representative, public administrator acting pursuant to Section 7660, or a person who performs substantially the same function under the law of another jurisdiction governing the person's status. See California Probate Code 58
- Principal: as used in this chapter means any realty or personalty which has been so set aside or limited by the owner thereof or a person thereto legally empowered that it and any substitutions for it are eventually to be conveyed, delivered, or paid to a person, while the return therefrom or use thereof or any part of such return or use is in the meantime to be taken or received by or held for accumulation for the same or another person. See California Civil Code 731.03
- Private student loan: means a loan issued by a private lending institution for the costs of attendance at any public or private nonprofit college or university in the United States, notwithstanding the definitions in subdivisions (i), (k), and (l) of Section 94110. See California Education Code 94157
- Probate: Proving a will
- Program: means the California Student Loan Refinancing Program created pursuant to this article. See California Education Code 94157
- Property: means anything that may be the subject of ownership and includes both real and personal property and any interest therein. See California Probate Code 62
- property: includes property real and personal. See California Civil Code 14
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Qualified borrower: means an individual meeting all of the following requirements:
California Education Code 94157
- Qualified loan: means a loan or a portion of a loan made by a financial institution to a qualified borrower to refinance a private student loan under the program. See California Education Code 94157
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Spouse: includes domestic partner, as defined in Section 37 of this code, as required by Section 297. See California Probate Code 72
- State: includes any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and any territory or possession subject to the legislative authority of the United States. See California Probate Code 74
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the district and territories. See California Penal Code 7
- Student loan: means a loan having terms and conditions acceptable to the authority that is made to finance or refinance the costs of attendance at a private college or a public college and that is approved by the authority, if the loan is originated pursuant to a program that is approved by the authority. See California Education Code 94110
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Tenant: as used in this chapter means the person to whom income is presently or currently payable, or for whom it is accumulated or who is entitled to the beneficial use of the principal presently and for a time prior to its distribution. See California Civil Code 731.03
- Trust: includes the following:
California Probate Code 82
- Trust company: means an entity that has qualified to engage in and conduct a trust business in this state. See California Probate Code 83
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Trustee: includes an original, additional, or successor trustee, whether or not appointed or confirmed by a court. See California Probate Code 84
- Will: includes codicil and any testamentary instrument which merely appoints an executor or revokes or revises another will. See California Probate Code 88
- will: includes codicil. See California Penal Code 7