(a) A “tow truck” is a motor vehicle which has been altered or designed and equipped for, and primarily used in the business of, transporting vehicles by means of a crane, hoist, tow bar, tow line, or dolly or is otherwise primarily used to render assistance to other vehicles. A “roll-back carrier” designed to carry up to two vehicles is also a tow truck. A trailer for hire that is being used to transport a vehicle is a tow truck. “Tow truck” does not include an automobile dismantlers’ tow vehicle or a repossessor’s tow vehicle.
(b) “Repossessor’s tow vehicle” means a tow vehicle which is registered to a repossessor licensed or registered pursuant to Chapter 11 (commencing with Section 7500) of Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code that is used exclusively in the course of the repossession business.
Terms Used In California Vehicle Code 615
- automobile dismantler: is a ny person not otherwise expressly excluded by Section 221 who:
California Vehicle Code 220
- business: includes a proprietorship, partnership, corporation, and any other form of commercial enterprise. See California Vehicle Code 234
- for hire: means that the entity providing transportation services is compensated for the transportation under contract or agreement. See California Vehicle Code 462
- motor vehicle: includes a recreational vehicle as that term is defined in subdivision (a) of Section 18010 of the Health and Safety Code, but does not include a truck camper. See California Vehicle Code 415
- tow truck: is a motor vehicle which has been altered or designed and equipped for, and primarily used in the business of, transporting vehicles by means of a crane, hoist, tow bar, tow line, or dolly or is otherwise primarily used to render assistance to other vehicles. See California Vehicle Code 615
- trailer: includes a semitrailer when used in conjunction with an auxiliary dolly, if the auxiliary dolly is of a type constructed to replace the function of the drawbar and the front axle or axles of a trailer. See California Vehicle Code 630
- vehicle: is a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. See California Vehicle Code 670
(c) “Automobile dismantlers’ tow vehicle” means a tow vehicle which is registered by an automobile dismantler licensed pursuant to Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 11500) of Division 5 and which is used exclusively to tow vehicles owned by that automobile dismantler in the course of the automobile dismantling business.
(Amended by Stats. 1999, Ch. 456, Sec. 14. Effective January 1, 2000.)