|Article 1||Brake Requirements|
|Article 2||Operation of Brakes|
|Article 4||Vacuum Brakes|
Terms Used In California Codes > Vehicle Code > Division 12 > Chapter 3
- Adjourn: A motion to adjourn a legislative chamber or a committee, if passed, ends that day's session.
- Airbrakes: means a brake system using compressed air either for actuating the service brakes at the wheels of the vehicle or as a source of power for controlling or applying service brakes which are actuated through hydraulic or other intermediate means. See California Education Code 8255
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- auxiliary dolly: is a vehicle, not designed for carrying persons or property on its own structure, which is so constructed and used in conjunction with a semitrailer as to support a portion of the weight of the semitrailer and any load thereon, but not permanently attached to the semitrailer, although a part of the weight of such dolly may rest on another vehicle. See California Education Code 8263.2
- axle: is a structure or portion of a structure consisting of one or more shafts, spindles, or bearings in the same vertical transverse plane by means of which, in conjunction with wheels mounted on said shafts, spindles, or bearings, a portion of the weight of a vehicle and its load, if any, is continuously transmitted to the roadway when the vehicle is in motion. See California Education Code 8263.3
- Board of directors: means the board of directors of a district. See California Water Code 26251
- bus: is a ny vehicle, including a trailer bus, designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 15 persons including the driver. See California Education Code 8265
- camp trailer: is a vehicle designed to be used on a highway, capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes, that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and does not exceed 96 inches in width and includes any tent trailer. See California Education Code 8266.2
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- City: means any city whether general law or charter, including a city and county, and including any city the name of which includes the word "town. See California Water Code 26251
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- County: includes "city and county. See California Education Code 1915
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 14004.5
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the Department of Motor Vehicles except, when used in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 2100) of Division 2 and in Divisions 11 (commencing with Section 21000), 12 (commencing with Section 24000), 13 (commencing with Section 29000), 14 (commencing with Section 31600), 14. See California Education Code 8277.2
- District: means a recreation and park district created pursuant to this chapter or any of its statutory predecessors. See California Water Code 26251
- driveaway-towaway operation: is a ny operation in which any motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles coupled together constitutes the commodity being transported, when one or more sets of wheels of any such motor vehicle or motor vehicles are on the roadway, and when one or more of such vehicles are being operated under a manufacturer's, dealer's, or transporter's special plates. See California Education Code 8277.8
- driver: is a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See California Education Code 8278.3
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Highway: is a way or place of whatever nature, publicly maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. See California Education Code 8332.7
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Local agency: means a city, county, city and county, special district, school district, community college district, community redevelopment agency, joint powers agency, or any other political subdivision of the state. See California Water Code 26251
- motor vehicle: includes a recreational vehicle as that term is defined in subdivision (a) of Section 18010 of the Health and Safety Code, but does not include a truck camper. See California Education Code 8360
- motorcycle: is a motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. See California Education Code 8356
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- owner: is a person having all the incidents of ownership, including the legal title of a vehicle whether or not such person lends, rents, or creates a security interest in the vehicle. See California Education Code 8368
- passenger vehicle: is a ny motor vehicle, other than a motortruck, truck tractor, or a bus, as defined in Section 233, and used or maintained for the transportation of persons. See California Education Code 8401
- permanent employee: includes tenure in the classification in which the employee passed the required probationary period, and includes all of the incidents of that classification. See California Education Code 45101
- Person: includes a natural person, firm, copartnership, association, limited liability company, or corporation. See California Education Code 8404
- Person: means any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, business trust, corporation, limited liability company, or company. See California Education Code 14022.3
- Preliminary hearing: A hearing where the judge decides whether there is enough evidence to make the defendant have a trial.
- Road: means any existing vehicle route established before January 1, 1979, with significant evidence of prior regular travel by vehicles subject to registration pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 4000) of Chapter 1 of Division 3. See California Education Code 8213
- semitrailer: is a vehicle designed for carrying persons or property, used in conjunction with a motor vehicle, and so constructed that some part of its weight and that of its load rests upon, or is carried by, another vehicle. See California Education Code 8448
- Special construction equipment: is:
California Education Code 8484.5
- Special mobile equipment: is a vehicle, not self-propelled, not designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons or property, and only incidentally operated or moved over a highway, excepting implements of husbandry. See California Education Code 8483.9
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 14022
- tow dolly: is a vehicle towed by a motor vehicle and designed and used exclusively to transport another motor vehicle and upon which the front or rear wheels of the towed motor vehicle are mounted, while the other wheels of the towed motor vehicle remain in contact with the ground. See California Education Code 8483.25
- trailer: includes a semitrailer when used in conjunction with an auxiliary dolly, if the auxiliary dolly is of a type constructed to replace the function of the drawbar and the front axle or axles of a trailer. See California Education Code 8483.76
- truck tractor: is a motor vehicle designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles and not so constructed as to carry a load, other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and the load so drawn. See California Education Code 8484.5
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Trustor: The person who makes or creates a trust. Also known as the grantor or settlor.
- vehicle: is a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. See California Education Code 8486