(a) Every tobacco product manufacturer, as defined in section 4-28h, selling cigarettes to consumers within this state, whether directly or through a distributor, dealer, or similar intermediary or intermediaries, shall secure a cigarette manufacturer’s license from the Commissioner of Revenue Services. Such license shall be renewable annually. The annual fee for a cigarette manufacturer’s license shall be five thousand two hundred fifty dollars. The commissioner shall not include or retain in the directory of tobacco product manufacturers developed and maintained in accordance with section 4-28m the name or brand families of any tobacco product manufacturer that has failed to secure and retain a cigarette manufacturer’s license in accordance with this section.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 12-285b
- Cigarette: means and includes any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco, irrespective of size or shape and irrespective of whether the tobacco is flavored, adulterated or mixed with any other ingredient, where such roll has a wrapper or cover made of paper or any other material, except where such wrapper is wholly or in the greater part made of tobacco and such roll weighs over three pounds per thousand, provided, if any roll for smoking has a wrapper made of homogenized tobacco or natural leaf tobacco, and the roll is a cigarette size so that it weighs three pounds or less per thousand, such roll is a cigarette and subject to the tax imposed by part I and part II of this chapter. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Commissioner of Revenue Services: means the Commissioner of Revenue Services or his authorized agent. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-1
- Dealer: means any person other than a distributor who is engaged in this state in the business of selling cigarettes, including any person operating and servicing fewer than twenty-five cigarette vending machines, and any person who is engaged in the business of selling taxed tobacco products, as defined in section 12-330a, at retail. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Distributor: means (A) any person in this state engaged in the business of manufacturing cigarettes. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Person: means any individual, firm, fiduciary, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, trust or association, however formed. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- succeeding: when used by way of reference to any section or sections, mean the section or sections next preceding, next following or next succeeding, unless some other section is expressly designated in such reference. See Connecticut General Statutes 1-1
(b) The commissioner shall not issue or reissue a cigarette manufacturer’s license to an applicant if any of the following conditions apply: (1) The applicant is neither (A) a participating manufacturer, as defined in Subsection II(jj) of the Master Settlement Agreement, as defined in section 4-28h, nor (B) in full compliance with section 4-28i; (2) the applicant has imported cigarettes into the United States in violation of 19 USC 1681a; or (3) the applicant has imported or manufactured cigarettes that do not fully comply with the federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act, 15 USC 1331 et seq.
(c) Such license shall be valid for a period beginning with the date of license to the thirtieth day of September next succeeding the date of license unless sooner revoked in the same manner provided in section 12-295 for revocation of the license of a dealer or distributor or unless the person to whom it was issued discontinues business. Upon revocation or discontinuance of business, the holder of the license shall immediately return such license to the commissioner. In the event of mutilation or destruction of such license, a duplicate copy, marked as such, shall be issued by said commissioner upon application accompanied by a fee of fifteen dollars.