(a) Each distributor and each dealer, as defined in section 12-285, shall place and maintain in legible condition at each point of sale of cigarettes to consumers, including the front of each vending machine, and each restricted cigarette vending machine a notice which states (1) that the sale, giving or delivering of tobacco products, including cigarettes, to any person under eighteen years of age is prohibited by section 53-344, (2) the purchase or misrepresentation of age by a person under eighteen years of age to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products is prohibited by said section 53-344, and (3) the penalties and fines for violating said section 53-344 and section 12-295a.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 12-286a
- Cigarette: means and includes any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco, irrespective of size or shape and irrespective of whether the tobacco is flavored, adulterated or mixed with any other ingredient, where such roll has a wrapper or cover made of paper or any other material, except where such wrapper is wholly or in the greater part made of tobacco and such roll weighs over three pounds per thousand, provided, if any roll for smoking has a wrapper made of homogenized tobacco or natural leaf tobacco, and the roll is a cigarette size so that it weighs three pounds or less per thousand, such roll is a cigarette and subject to the tax imposed by part I and part II of this chapter. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Cigarette vending machine: means a machine used for the purpose of automatically merchandising packaged cigarettes through the insertion of the proper amount of coins therein by the purchaser, but does not mean a restricted cigarette vending machine. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Dealer: means any person other than a distributor who is engaged in this state in the business of selling cigarettes, including any person operating and servicing fewer than twenty-five cigarette vending machines, and any person who is engaged in the business of selling taxed tobacco products, as defined in section 12-330a, at retail. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Distributor: means (A) any person in this state engaged in the business of manufacturing cigarettes. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Person: means any individual, firm, fiduciary, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, trust or association, however formed. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Restricted cigarette vending machine: means a machine used for the dispensing of packaged cigarettes which automatically deactivates after each individual sale, cannot be left operable after a sale and requires, prior to each individual sale, a face-to-face interaction or display of identification between an employee of the area, facility or business where such machine is located and the purchaser. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
(b) Any person who violates subsection (a) of this section shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars.
(c) The Commissioner of Consumer Protection may investigate any alleged violation of the provisions of subsection (a) of this section and, if there appears to be reasonable cause therefor, on reasonable notice to any person accused of any such violation, may make complaint to the prosecuting authority having jurisdiction of any such complaint or may, after notice and a hearing as provided in section 20-321, fine a distributor or dealer who violates said subsection (a) one hundred dollars per violation. Each day a distributor or dealer fails to post a notice in violation of subsection (a) of this section shall be a separate violation.