(a) Each licensed distributor and dealer shall file with the Commissioner of Revenue Services, on or before the twenty-fifth day of each month, a report for the calendar month immediately preceding in such form and containing such information as the commissioner may prescribe. The return shall be accompanied by a payment of the amount of the tax shown to be due thereon. The commissioner by regulation may exempt from the monthly reporting requirements of this section those distributors and dealers who do not acquire unstamped cigarettes and in lieu thereof may require an annual report, prescribed as to form by the Commissioner of Revenue Services and bearing notice to the effect that false statements made in such report are punishable, if, in the commissioner’s discretion, the enforcement of this chapter would not be adversely affected.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 12-293a
- Cigarette: means and includes any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco, irrespective of size or shape and irrespective of whether the tobacco is flavored, adulterated or mixed with any other ingredient, where such roll has a wrapper or cover made of paper or any other material, except where such wrapper is wholly or in the greater part made of tobacco and such roll weighs over three pounds per thousand, provided, if any roll for smoking has a wrapper made of homogenized tobacco or natural leaf tobacco, and the roll is a cigarette size so that it weighs three pounds or less per thousand, such roll is a cigarette and subject to the tax imposed by part I and part II of this chapter. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Commissioner of Revenue Services: means the Commissioner of Revenue Services or his authorized agent. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-1
- Dealer: means any person other than a distributor who is engaged in this state in the business of selling cigarettes, including any person operating and servicing fewer than twenty-five cigarette vending machines, and any person who is engaged in the business of selling taxed tobacco products, as defined in section 12-330a, at retail. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Distributor: means (A) any person in this state engaged in the business of manufacturing cigarettes. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- month: means a calendar month, and the word "year" means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Connecticut General Statutes 1-1
- Person: means any individual, firm, fiduciary, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, trust or association, however formed. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
(b) Each licensed distributor or dealer who owns or operates cigarette vending machines shall file a report with the Commissioner of Revenue Services, at such time and in such form as the commissioner may prescribe.
(c) If any person fails to pay the amount of tax reported due on its report within the time specified under this section, there shall be imposed a penalty equal to ten per cent of such amount due and unpaid, or fifty dollars, whichever is greater. No person shall be subject to a penalty under both this section and subsection (b) of section 12-309. Such amount shall bear interest at the rate of one per cent per month or fraction thereof, from the due date of such tax until the date of payment.
(d) Subject to the provisions of section 12-3a, the commissioner may waive all or part of the penalties provided under this chapter when it is proven to his satisfaction that the failure to pay any tax was due to reasonable cause and was not intentional or due to neglect.