The Commissioner of Revenue Services may authorize a dealer or distributor to give or deliver any cigarette, as defined in section 12-285, or tobacco product, as defined in section 12-330a, in connection with the promotion or advertisement of such cigarette or tobacco product without receiving monetary consideration from the person receiving the cigarette or tobacco product provided (1) such distribution is on the premises of a licensed dealer as defined in said section 12-285 or at any event or establishment with an area the access to which is limited to adult patrons provided such distribution is restricted to such area, (2) the sample of cigarettes, if applicable, contains no less than two cigarettes, and (3) the taxes on such cigarettes have been previously paid. The licensed dealer or distributor shall be liable for any gift or delivery of cigarettes or tobacco products to minors on his premises by any person conducting a promotion or advertisement of such cigarette or tobacco product in accordance with this section. This section shall not apply to the gift or delivery of a cigarette package in connection with a sale of similar package of cigarettes.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 12-314a
- Cigarette: means and includes any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco, irrespective of size or shape and irrespective of whether the tobacco is flavored, adulterated or mixed with any other ingredient, where such roll has a wrapper or cover made of paper or any other material, except where such wrapper is wholly or in the greater part made of tobacco and such roll weighs over three pounds per thousand, provided, if any roll for smoking has a wrapper made of homogenized tobacco or natural leaf tobacco, and the roll is a cigarette size so that it weighs three pounds or less per thousand, such roll is a cigarette and subject to the tax imposed by part I and part II of this chapter. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Commissioner of Revenue Services: means the Commissioner of Revenue Services or his authorized agent. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-1
- Dealer: means any person other than a distributor who is engaged in this state in the business of selling cigarettes, including any person operating and servicing fewer than twenty-five cigarette vending machines, and any person who is engaged in the business of selling taxed tobacco products, as defined in section 12-330a, at retail. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Distributor: means (A) any person in this state engaged in the business of manufacturing cigarettes. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Licensed dealer: means a dealer licensed under the provisions of this chapter. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285
- Person: means any individual, firm, fiduciary, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, trust or association, however formed. See Connecticut General Statutes 12-285