(a) The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority, in consultation with the Office of Consumer Counsel, shall establish a program for the dissemination of information regarding electric suppliers. Such program shall require electric distribution companies to distribute an informational summary on electric suppliers to any new customer and to existing customers beginning on January 1, 2004, and semiannually thereafter. Such informational summary shall be developed by the authority and shall include, but not be limited to, the name of each licensed electric supplier, the state where the supplier is based, information on whether the supplier has active offerings for either residential or commercial and industrial consumers, the telephone number and Internet web site of the supplier, and information as to whether the supplier offers electric generation services from renewable energy sources in excess of the portfolio standards established pursuant to section 16-245a. The authority shall include pricing information in the informational summary to the extent the authority determines feasible. The authority shall post the informational summary in a conspicuous place on its Internet web site and provide electronic links to the Internet web site of each supplier. The authority shall update the informational summary on its Internet web site on at least a quarterly basis.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 16-244d
- Authority: means the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority and "department" means the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. See Connecticut General Statutes 16-1
- Consumer: means any private dwelling, boardinghouse, apartment, store, office building, institution, mechanical or manufacturing establishment or other place of business or industry to which water is supplied by a water company. See Connecticut General Statutes 16-1
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Electric generation services: means electric energy, electric capacity or generation-related services. See Connecticut General Statutes 16-1
- Electric supplier: means any person, including an electric aggregator or participating municipal electric utility that is licensed by the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority in accordance with section 16-245, that provides electric generation services to end use customers in the state using the transmission or distribution facilities of an electric distribution company, regardless of whether or not such person takes title to such generation services, but does not include: (A) A municipal electric utility established under chapter 101, other than a participating municipal electric utility. See Connecticut General Statutes 16-1
(b) (1) On or before October 1, 2014, the authority shall redesign the rate board Internet web site to better enable customers to compare pricing policies and charges among electric suppliers. Such redesign shall (A) reflect the best practices of similar rate board Internet web sites in other states and the development of a process to remove an electric supplier’s price listings from such Internet web site based on protocols established by the authority to ensure compliance with this chapter and to address customer complaints, and (B) emphasize (i) uniformity in how electric suppliers provide information for each category on the rate board Internet web site, (ii) ease of use by customers, and (iii) ease of selecting and purchasing a specific contract from an electric supplier shown on the rate board Internet web site.
(2) On or before July 1, 2017, and every two years thereafter, the authority shall review the rate board Internet web site and make any improvements to ensure such Internet web site remains a progressive tool for customers to compare pricing policies and charges among electric suppliers.