(a) In all cases where mortgages or judgments are liens on real estate in this State and the same have been paid and the mortgagee or obligee or their executors, administrators or assigns refuses or neglects to enter satisfaction of such mortgage or judgment on the record thereof in the office where the same is recorded or entered, forthwith after the payment thereof, the mortgagor or obligor or their heirs or assigns may, upon sworn petition to the Superior Court of the county in which such mortgage or judgment is recorded or entered, setting forth the facts, obtain from such Court a rule on the mortgagee or obligee or their executors, administrators or assigns, returnable at such time as the Court may direct, requiring such mortgagee or obligee or their executors, administrators or assigns to appear on the day fixed by the Court and show cause, if they have any, why such mortgage or judgment shall not be marked satisfied on the record thereof. Such rule shall be served as provided by law for service of writs of scire facias. In case the mortgagee or obligee or their executors, administrators or assigns reside out of the State and cannot be served, or in case the mortgagee or obligee is a corporation which has been dissolved for more than 3 years prior to the filing of the petition, and for whom no trustee or receiver has been appointed, the rule shall be continued and a copy thereof shall be published by the sheriff in a newspaper of the county once each week for 4 successive weeks, and upon proof of such advertisement by affidavit of the sheriff made at the time to which such rule was continued, shall be deemed and considered sufficient service of such rule.
Terms Used In Delaware Code Title 25 Sec. 2115
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- State: means the State of Delaware; and when applied to different parts of the United States, it includes the District of Columbia and the several territories and possessions of the United States. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
(b) Upon the return of the rule, if the Court is satisfied from the evidence produced that such mortgage or judgment, together with all interest and costs due thereon, has been satisfied and paid, the rule shall be made absolute, and the Court shall order and decree that the mortgage or judgment is paid and satisfied, and shall order and direct the recorder or the prothonotary, in whose office such mortgage or judgment is entered, to enter on the record thereof full and complete satisfaction thereof.