Terms Used In Florida Statutes 456.008
- Board: means any board or commission, or other statutorily created entity to the extent such entity is authorized to exercise regulatory or rulemaking functions, within the department, except that, for ss. See Florida Statutes 456.001
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Department: means the Department of Health. See Florida Statutes 456.001
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
(1) Each board member shall be accountable to the Governor for the proper performance of duties as a member of the board. The Governor shall investigate any legally sufficient complaint or unfavorable written report received by the Governor or by the department or a board concerning the actions of the board or its individual members. The Governor may suspend from office any board member for malfeasance, misfeasance, neglect of duty, drunkenness, incompetence, permanent inability to perform his or her official duties, or commission of a felony.
(2) Each board member and each former board member serving on a probable cause panel shall be exempt from civil liability for any act or omission when acting in the member’s official capacity, and the department shall defend any such member in any action against any board or member of a board arising from any such act or omission. In addition, the department may defend the member’s company or business in any action against the company or business if the department determines that the actions from which the suit arises are actions taken by the member in the member’s official capacity and were not beyond the member’s statutory authority. In providing such defense, the department may employ or utilize the legal services of the Department of Legal Affairs or outside counsel retained pursuant to s. 287.059. Fees and costs of providing legal services provided under this subsection shall be paid from a trust fund used by the department to implement this chapter, subject to the provisions of s. 456.025.