(1)(a) A title insurer may not issue any contract of title insurance, either as a primary insurer or as a coinsurer or reinsurer, upon an estate, lien, or interest in property located in this state unless:
1. The contract shows on its face the dollar amount of the risk assumed; and
2. The dollar amount of the risk assumed does not exceed its surplus as to policyholders, unless the excess is simultaneously reinsured in one or more authorized insurers or one or more reinsurers that meet the requirements of s. 624.610.
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 627.778
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Title insurer: means any domestic company organized and authorized to do business under the provisions of chapter 624, for the purpose of issuing title insurance, or any insurer organized under the laws of another state, the District of Columbia, or a foreign country and holding a certificate of authority to transact business in this state, for the purpose of issuing title insurance. See Florida Statutes 627.7711
(b) A title insurer may not circumvent the limitations of paragraph (a) by issuing two or more policies upon the same estate, lien, or interest.
(c) This subsection does not prohibit:
1. The simultaneous issuance of policies insuring different estates, liens, or interests in the same property, if each of the simultaneous policies excepts the paramount estates, liens, or interests to which the insured estate, lien, or interest is subject and if each of the simultaneous policies conforms to this subsection.
2. Ceding portions of the total risk to authorized insurers or reinsurers that meet the requirements of s. 624.610. Insurance ceded, including coinsurance effected, is a retention of risk by the insurer assuming the ceded risk, and not by the insurer ceding the risk.
(2) Surplus as to policyholders shall be determined from the last annual statement of the insurer filed under s. 624.424.
(3) Only contractual remedies are available for a breach of a duty which arises solely from the terms of a contract of title insurance or an instrument issued pursuant to s. 627.786(3).